• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My thoughts after playing the Beta.

Feb 19, 2016
Over the last year or so. I've been periodically looking in on this website/forums to get updates and folks takes on KF2. I've watched a fair share of streams on Twitch and videos on Youtube. The announcement of KF2 for a PS4 release, was one of the main reasons I chose PS4. I played the ever loving you know what out of KF1 on PC and Mac. I gifted about 3 copies to friends. KF1 was/is one of my most oft played games from the last 10 years (I have to go back as far as the first Everquest to remember a game I sunk as much time into). Killing floor 2 has some pretty big shoes to fill. I tempered my expectations and would wait till I got my hands on it. Although, I still preoreded my physical copy from Gamestop the moment I could.

It took only a couple minutes into the first wave of a survival match to draw the conclusion that you've outdone yourself. The gameplay has a nice feel and responsiveness to it. You've made great use of the Dualshock 4 controller (minus one aspect that I will get to later). I know KB+M will always be better for FPS', but us console folks won't have much to complain about. Out of a fear of being long winded, I will try to keep things brief in a bullet point.

+Character models looked and animated nicely
+All 3 of the maps in the Beta are dynamic and laid out nicely. Lighting was great. They are pretty and give you a sense of dread with the ambience. The size is just about right. I did not feel like there was any wasted space.
+ Zed AI is improved with nice characteristics added. They are not lifeless models. A good amount of spawn points. Offer a good challenge. My biggest fear from watching streams, was that I thought it'd be too easy. Not the case.
+Perks- Spent most of my time on old faves. Field medic, support, demo. Overall everything felt rewarding. Firebug felt a little different. Only leveled up to 2 with Firebug. Swat and gunslinger are nice.
+All the weapons were nice and offered enough deviation to gameplay preferences.
+I did not experience any glitches/freezes/crashes during my beta experience (*knocks on wood*)

-Not necessarily a con. I liked the grind for perk leveling in the first one. I felt like something was accomplished and earned (even if it did take a month or so to get there). Leveling comes fairly easy.
-My one gripe with the controller was the combo of holding triangle and using d-pad to singularly select a tool/weapon. I think holding triangle and using left stick would be nicer.
-Zeds vs mode- I only played a 6- 10 matches. Maybe I didn't play enough to get used to it. Zed control seemed a little clunky. Sometimes I had to wait around 30-40 seconds to respawn (I understand that X amount gets spawned at any point in time and I need to wait until a zed is dispatched). I'd hope that I could jump back into it (even if I know I'm going to get obliterated).
-Without regard to which perk I played, using the medical syringe on another player seemed very finicky in comparison to KF1. It seems like I needed to be a certain distance and lined up a particular way to get it to work. Maybe this is how you intended it to be.

All in all, you folks did a great job. I was able to convince my nephew to buy on Sunday and will work on a few other people I know. This game has exceeded my expectations. This will be my fave this gen.