• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-ShoppingSpree

KR35xEw.jpg

RAk83sV.jpg

Kim32fp.jpg

6xV2B8P.jpg

xhJViBx.jpg

zYV23WE.jpg

46PfBnY.jpg

yzlF740.jpg

The plan was to release the final version via Steam Workshop only, but since the tools haven't been released yet, I thought it might be a good idea to cover my a$$ and release it via the normal channels too :)

ChangeLog:
Spoiler!

Screenshot Album:
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Xd8GD
IMGUR: https://imgur.com/a/HLGDM
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7SGDlNAkjc

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=644068210

Last edited:
I don't know if it's because the web has become way more social since 2009, but the support & reception I've been seeing for ShoppingSpree is fantastic. Thanks everyone, it's really motivating :)

still thinking about that departed remake? :)

Yes, but think of it more as a re-imagining than a flat out cookie-cutter remake. I really like what Hidden Path did with re-imagining cs source maps for csgo so I would go down that path since I think Departed has some problems.

I also have some ideas for a third map after playing lots of maps from the other entrants. But don't expect it soon. The next 2 months may be very interesting for me, moving to another country and stuff. Having a (good) income is my first priority atm.

When I do it, I plan to have a way more open development cycle. So for ShoppingSpree I actually played the map from early on in blockout & graybox phases with friends & I have all those builds archived since I wanted to do a video or something on that process. I'm thinking of making that all public for the next map. So development will be slow but publicly playable from early on. :)

Upvote 0
I don't know if it's because the web has become way more social since 2009, but the support & reception I've been seeing for ShoppingSpree is fantastic. Thanks everyone, it's really motivating :)

Yes, but think of it more as a re-imagining than a flat out cookie-cutter remake. I really like what Hidden Path did with re-imagining cs source maps for csgo so I would go down that path since I think Departed has some problems.

I also have some ideas for a third map after playing lots of maps from the other entrants. But don't expect it soon. The next 2 months may be very interesting for me, moving to another country and stuff. Having a (good) income is my first priority atm.

When I do it, I plan to have a way more open development cycle. So for ShoppingSpree I actually played the map from early on in blockout & graybox phases with friends & I have all those builds archived since I wanted to do a video or something on that process. I'm thinking of making that all public for the next map. So development will be slow but publicly playable from early on. :)

Sounds brilliant, you definitely deserve the support you get for providing us with such high quality maps! Also, wouldn't particularly mind a cookie cutter remake either, but it's your call. Looking forward to your further maps!

Upvote 0
Please do not release your map versions with the same filename. It causes problems with public redirects. If we would replace the map files, then servers which did not yet update to the newest version will become problematic. Even so is it not possible to delete the old file from the redirect when a player is downloading it. We end up in a try-retry-retry limbo until finally no player is uploading the map.

Upvote 0
Please do not release your map versions with the same filename. It causes problems with public redirects. If we would replace the map files, then servers which did not yet update to the newest version will become problematic. Even so is it not possible to delete the old file from the redirect when a player is downloading it. We end up in a try-retry-retry limbo until finally no player is uploading the map.

As far as I know, I have only released ShoppingSpree with unique filenames:

KF-ShoppingSpree_20160131A.kfm
------
KF-ShoppingSpree_20160210A.kfm
------
KF-ShoppingSpree.kfm ( 20160220A Final version, Grindhouse Deadline )
Mall_Assets.upk
------
KF-ShoppingSpree_BETA.kfm ( Special Single Server File identical to 20160220A )

I specifically renamed the special single file release to "KF-ShoppingSpree_BETA" to avoid problems like that. When the Steam Workshop takes over, all previous downloads will be taken offline.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

After seeing your PM and checking again,
YES there are 2 releases with the same file names:

KF-ShoppingSpree_20160216A_BETA.7z & KF-ShoppingSpree_20160220A.7z have the same file names in them.

However, KF-ShoppingSpree_20160220A was a release for Tripwire, since they didn't have the Workshop tool ready.
FOR SERVERS I released KF-ShoppingSpree_BETA.7z which has different file names & is identical to the
KF-ShoppingSpree_20160220A.7z release so you should put that one on your redirect, NOT KF-ShoppingSpree_20160220A.7z.

It is linked in my initial post and specifically highlighted in orange that servers should use that version. Hope that clears everything up. So if you want to play online without hassle, use the server release.

I'll update the MODDB download with the single file version so users will automatically have the right version. Tripwire has the split source via the Grindhouse Submission form, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm working on an update that will reduce the draw calls & geometry somewhat, fix some exploits + FINALLY fix the bloater jiggle bones / mesh freaking out in some places.

I've spent quite some time figuring out what the hell was going on with the flex gibs floating & jiggle of the bloater. It wasn't obvious or easy, and I basically found the culprits through elimination, AKA deleting sections of my map.
It basically boils down to 2 things you must avoid when making KF2 maps:

1: I don't know if the default KFPawnBlockingVolumes have these flags unchecked but converting between blocking volumes & KFPawnBlockingVolumes will cause these 2 flags to be set:

Collision Component > Block Rigid Body = should be UNCHECKED
Collision Component > RBCollide With Channels > Flex Asset = should be UNCHECKED

When any flex actor goes through such a volume where these 2 flags are checked then it will spazz out. Some volumes in KF-BurningParis have these still checked and the bloater will spazz out there too.

2: AVOID ALL OVERLAPPING PHYSICS. If you have a floor & ceiling in different meshes both having a convex physics mesh perfectly overlapping then it will cause weird issues with flex. The really annoying part is when it happens with walls (inner wall = different mesh than outer wall and physics perfectly overlap) then it will cause these flex spazzing & floating issues seemingly along the X or Y axis everywhere in your map.

In these cases you can select one of the 2 overlapping meshes and make it blockweapons only while also unchecking the same flags I listed for the KFPawnBlockingVolumes. That will fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

???
If you have missing textures, you may want to unsubscribe & resubscribe.
No issues on my end, and everybody I played with since my last update had no issues.
Could it be that there are shader cache issues on your end ? I know that the Update Tripwire pushed out caused some problems on that end, so they had to push out a hotfix.

I have played it over the weekend a few times, my server was packed all day yesterday, running KF-ShoppingSpree only. It's still running today (4 days running now) so no server stability issues that I can see. (Reply to guy on the beta thread)

I'm aware that the new KF2 update increases the flashlight brightness a lot, this causes some specular highlights to completely blow out on some assets. I will evaluate and see before I push out another update.

/EDIT

Reading steam comments on the KF 1028 Update, it seems that the "missing textures" are showing up in all custom maps. I think some shaders simply didn't recompile or something. Since I don't have it on my end.

From Tripwire: "Shader compile issue on launch should be fixed now. If you still have this issue, please verify your game cache in Steam."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
???
If you have missing textures, you may want to unsubscribe & resubscribe.
No issues on my end, and everybody I played with since my last update had no issues.
Could it be that there are shader cache issues on your end ? I know that the Update Tripwire pushed out caused some problems on that end, so they had to push out a hotfix.

I have played it over the weekend a few times, my server was packed all day yesterday, running KF-ShoppingSpree only. It's still running today (4 days running now) so no server stability issues that I can see. (Reply to guy on the beta thread)

I'm aware that the new KF2 update increases the flashlight brightness a lot, this causes some specular highlights to completely blow out on some assets. I will evaluate and see before I push out another update.

/EDIT

Reading steam comments on the KF 1028 Update, it seems that the "missing textures" are showing up in all custom maps. I think some shaders simply didn't recompile or something. Since I don't have it on my end.

From Tripwire: "Shader compile issue on launch should be fixed now. If you still have this issue, please verify your game cache in Steam."

You see all your textures cause you opened the map via SDK which shader builder works np.
If you delete your local shaders in my documents and start the game(even after verify) your textures would be missing.
Same thing in my map too.
The game shader builder is broken at the moment and nothing we can do but wait for a fix.
The only way to get textures back RIGHT NOAW is to open the desired map with the SDK and build all which will build the Local shaders...for those fans that don't wanna wait ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0