• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Rain Mesh on Manor

mikkou

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2014
I cant seem to figure out how the mapper managed to place those rain meshes in the map, because they dont seem to show up on any of the wireframe viewports, and even selecting it in the main viewport is a pain in the butt. And even after I finally manage to select one, I find it hard to figure out how to place them in my map so that theres no gaps beetween and they dont go through buildings and such. Tried changing the material to something else temporarily but it only turned the whole thing invisible.

Anyone got any tips or alternative ways of creating rain?

I understand your pain soo much man. The way I did it with KF-Offices, is that I first made sure nothing was visible in the 3D view port, added the rain mesh, then duplicated while moving it upward or downwards, then replaced the mesh with something like a 2x2 modular floor mesh, then while holding ctrl+alt and draging the mouse made sure to put both meshes inside the box selection then grouped both meshes. So now you can just easily click on the floor mesh to select your rain mesh.This helps a lot but it's hard to pin point wether or not the rain drops will go through indoor buildings.

HOWEVER! You can do what came to my mind lately.
-Make sure you have 0 assets in the 3D viewport.
-View the rain mesh in its 'Static Mesh Editor' and you will be able to see the approximate dimension (L,W & H).
-Proceed to drag and drop the rain mesh (do not un-select it while it's placed in the level).
-Add the builder brush to the rain mesh (so the brush box remains in the center of the mesh.
-Scale the builder brush to the approximate dimensions of the rain mesh you viewed in the 'Mesh Editor'.
-Click the 'CSG add' button.
-Now convert the brush into a static mesh (Make the directory inside your level package and fill the other requirements to your liking)
-Then use the box selection method to select both the rain mesh and your box mesh, and GROUP them.

Now you can accurately move around the rain mesh and make sure it doesn't clip through rooms.

Do I get a cookie now? Make it a chocolate fudge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MixMakMax;n2289420 said:
-View the rain mesh in its 'Static Mesh Editor' and you will be able to see the approximate dimension (L,W & H).

Ah I was looking for a way of showing the dimensions, because I remembered I had used this before somewhere but couldnt remember how to get them visible. Thanks!

Also grouping another mesh with the rain sounds like a great idea, I will try that later today. However Im still curious as to how the original mapper did it, because I doubt he just planted them there randomly?

Upvote 0