• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Question about volumes

Tecnologgamer

Apr 18, 2016
Have see the oficial maps made by TW I wonder about that other volumes? There are importants and make a great diference for your map?
You guys with more experience uses they with frequency?

I just uses the obvious for an map but I wonder if the others make a good diference when you finish.

Blocking Volumes to of course block off players/zeds from certain areas. But also very importantly to optimize collision and movement on your map, to prevent players from getting stuck, or help keep their movement fluid and uninterrupted. It is infinitely frustrating if you bump into a small edge of a wall and have your movement stopped while trying to flee from 3 angry fleshpounds. Use blocking volumes to "smoothen" out troublesome areas to prevent this from happening.

Reverb Volumes to add more audio atmosphere to your map. Keep in mind that the effect of these don't work in the editor, you don't hear them until you go actually in-game.

Trigger volumes for various effects. Enabling portal spawns, setting objectives, disabling elements, triggering sound effects, teleportation and so on.

Lighting Volumes for obvious reasons.

Pre-computed visibility for final touches rendering optimization.

Dialogue Environment Volumes to add some party banter to your map (many people have this disabled, but you should add them regardless imo)

Occlusion Volumes are in my personal opinion not needed for KF2 maps. They are primarily used to automate draw distances on large open world environments with huge view distances. You should be tweaking draw distances manually in KF2 maps due to their relatively small size.

Dynamic Physics Volumes for various effects, such as making zones that deal damage when entering them or causing other effects.

Post Processing Volumes to add cool visual effects, like blur, fog, color changes etc.

Upvote 0
Seanchaoz;n2282584 said:
Blocking Volumes to of course block off players/zeds from certain areas. But also very importantly to optimize collision and movement on your map, to prevent players from getting stuck, or help keep their movement fluid and uninterrupted. It is infinitely frustrating if you bump into a small edge of a wall and have your movement stopped while trying to flee from 3 angry fleshpounds. Use blocking volumes to "smoothen" out troublesome areas to prevent this from happening.

Reverb Volumes to add more audio atmosphere to your map. Keep in mind that the effect of these don't work in the editor, you don't hear them until you go actually in-game.

Trigger volumes for various effects. Enabling portal spawns, setting objectives, disabling elements, triggering sound effects, teleportation and so on.

Lighting Volumes for obvious reasons.

Pre-computed visibility for final touches rendering optimization.

Dialogue Environment Volumes to add some party banter to your map (many people have this disabled, but you should add them regardless imo)

Occlusion Volumes are in my personal opinion not needed for KF2 maps. They are primarily used to automate draw distances on large open world environments with huge view distances. You should be tweaking draw distances manually in KF2 maps due to their relatively small size.

Dynamic Physics Volumes for various effects, such as making zones that deal damage when entering them or causing other effects.

Post Processing Volumes to add cool visual effects, like blur, fog, color changes etc.

Thanks for help. I think I can use the Post Processing and Pre-computed Visibility.

Upvote 0
To add on the the question (rather then making a new thread)

Reverb Volumes: what is needed the make this work and limit the sound to a specific area? I have the level loaded, sound bank and toggle(in the kismat) the sound I want inside the volume(I've also tried outside it) but even after building, brewing and playing it ingame(not sdk) I hear the rain from Manor every where on the map.

Pre-computed Visibility: I assume the Pre-computed visiblity in Wolrd Info needs checked to work right? (doing so makes some maps take much longer to brew)

Upvote 0
WyvernWarrior;n2285322 said:
To add on the the question (rather then making a new thread)

Reverb Volumes: what is needed the make this work and limit the sound to a specific area? I have the level loaded, sound bank and toggle(in the kismat) the sound I want inside the volume(I've also tried outside it) but even after building, brewing and playing it ingame(not sdk) I hear the rain from Manor every where on the map.

Pre-computed Visibility: I assume the Pre-computed visiblity in Wolrd Info needs checked to work right? (doing so makes some maps take much longer to brew)
You need to set appropriate state names and state groups for reverb volumes to work properly.

For example in burning paris, the State Name Group would be "env_paris_location" and then the volume State Name could be "Outside" or "Underground" or "Inside".

I've only recently found this out myself, so I'm still learning how to use them properly but I have gotten it to work as you can hear in this test video:

I don't know how or if we can make our own values - I've tried and it didn't work. So I just use the official map ones.

And yes, you need to check the Pre-comp in world info for it to build. And it does indeed increase build time by a very large factor. Don't bother doing it until your map is completely finished and do it as the very last thing. There's no need to build it while still editing.

Upvote 0