• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Landscape MIC resets to default material since release

Hi, I do the same with the same landscape and I have to rebuild the terrain, if it is a piece, you can erase the one that fails, then one that is fine, copy it and paste it in that place, give it shape and solved until The next update, if this does not work you will have to do the whole floor again, I did not find another solution.

regards

Upvote 0
Yep, you're in the same boat i'm in unfortunately.. Until they support the custom side, in my case custom materials, will have this issue. There is still quite a bit of restriction on the SDK still even after release. :/

I tested by giving my LocalShaderCache to my friends who help me test my maps as well, they were able to see the textures afterward, but without it, it'll be default.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, in my case with LocalShaderCache, putting it in the folder \ Documents \ My Games \ KillingFloor2 \ KFGame \ Published function, but of course everyone downloading the map would have to copy them by hand in that folder, if I put it next to the map For the joint download when subscribing did not always work and on some servers I create problems, so I remove it and finish rebuilding ground, now I have managed to do only the piece that is damaged, but it is a lot of work for each time they update, for the Now I have not found a better solution.

regards

Upvote 0
[TW said:
HyperSniper;n2279284]Sorry for the inconvenience.

We'll look into this and see if we can come up with a solution.

Thank you for the report!

KFII-33482

Yayyyy! Glad it's being looked at. :)

manolito;n2279219 said:
Hello, in my case with LocalShaderCache, putting it in the folder \ Documents \ My Games \ KillingFloor2 \ KFGame \ Published function, but of course everyone downloading the map would have to copy them by hand in that folder, if I put it next to the map For the joint download when subscribing did not always work and on some servers I create problems, so I remove it and finish rebuilding ground, now I have managed to do only the piece that is damaged, but it is a lot of work for each time they update, for the Now I have not found a better solution.

regards

Yeah, the LocalShaderCache isn't a fix of any sort for public use. It's there for local client texture loading and I was just using it as a temporary alternative for personal use when I test the map. Until TWI supports custom mats properly without deriving with MIC will have these issues. It only just got more prominent on this release while breaking Landscapes with custom textures.

Upvote 0
During the Brewing process, the engine is supposed to bundle the information that would normally be parsed through the LocalShaderCache file into the map file itself. There was a minor hiccup from the previous update, during the public beta opt in, that didn't play nice with the community maps. We've resolved that as well. I am reading that the Landscape materials are still not being process correctly using our documented method to set up Landscape materials, is that a correct assumption?

Upvote 0
Well I just released the Afghanistan map and I just simply couldn´t use MY TEXTURES. I tried almost 20 times to redone the landscape with my textures assigned to the Material'Env_Mat_Lib_Two.Landscape.LMAT_BlackForest_LandscapeMaterialBase' I tried just to apply basic Material'Env_Mat_Lib.Metal.Env_Basic_Metal_PM' I even tried to make my own materials instead of MIC and it didn´t work. This is how the MAT looked like http://i.imgur.com/B8ReKys.png

On Agroprom on the other hand I used MAT "materials" on trees grass and bushes and it worked but Agroprom remake has a static mesh as a landscape remade to 16 parts. So what I´m trying to say, you can use Landscape but only with the original textures assigned to it, but you can´t rescale the texture (make it smaller or bigger, the cooking process will not do that). It would be so much easier to just convert the landscape to Static mesh...

When it comes to saving and cooking this part is ok but when it comes to Foilage mode... that´s another whole part.. and I don´t even start with building light with shadows assigned to the trees, grass or bushes etc. To build light in foilage mod, you have to uncheck shadows on trees, grass or bushes etc and even then it still might crash.

Ok so just recap this:

1 - Landscape works only with original textures

2 - You can´t use your textures on Landscape, cooking process works, uploading on Steam Workshop works, but when you upload the map and rename the Published folder or just delete the SM5 shader it will not work. This is how it looks like when the map is uploaded on workshop then I renamed the published folder and played http://i.imgur.com/4Z2xiTn.jpg

3 - You can´t use MAT (material) on landscape

4 - You can´t use custom trees in Foilage mod on Landscape with MIC textures using MaterialInstanceConstant'ENV_Paris_MAT.Building.Generic.Env_Paris_Gen_Bldg_02_Railing_LOD_MIC' http://i.imgur.com/roh5ojQ.jpg

5 - When I use Foilage mode and try to build light, it will crash, when I uncheck shadows it will build.

If you have any answer on this I would like to know what is causing it or tell me what I´m doing wrong.

Upvote 0
RockMax;n2285023 said:
Well I just released the Afghanistan map and I just simply couldn´t use MY TEXTURES. I tried almost 20 times to redone the landscape with my textures assigned to the Material'Env_Mat_Lib_Two.Landscape.LMAT_BlackFores t_LandscapeMaterialBase' I tried just to apply basic Material'Env_Mat_Lib.Metal.Env_Basic_Metal_PM' I even tried to make my own materials instead of MIC and it didn´t work. This is how the MAT looked like http://i.imgur.com/B8ReKys.png

On Agroprom on the other hand I used MAT "materials" on trees grass and bushes and it worked but Agroprom remake has a static mesh as a landscape remade to 16 parts. So what I´m trying to say, you can use Landscape but only with the original textures assigned to it, but you can´t rescale the texture (make it smaller or bigger, the cooking process will not do that). It would be so much easier to just convert the landscape to Static mesh...

When it comes to saving and cooking this part is ok but when it comes to Foilage mode... that´s another whole part.. and I don´t even start with building light with shadows assigned to the trees, grass or bushes etc. To build light in foilage mod, you have to uncheck shadows on trees, grass or bushes etc and even then it still might crash.

Ok so just recap this:

1 - Landscape works only with original textures

2 - You can´t use your textures on Landscape, cooking process works, uploading on Steam Workshop works, but when you upload the map and rename the Published folder or just delete the SM5 shader it will not work. This is how it looks like when the map is uploaded on workshop then I renamed the published folder and played http://i.imgur.com/4Z2xiTn.jpg

3 - You can´t use MAT (material) on landscape

4 - You can´t use custom trees in Foilage mod on Landscape with MIC textures using MaterialInstanceConstant'ENV_Paris_MAT.Building.Ge neric.Env_Paris_Gen_Bldg_02_Railing_LOD_MIC' http://i.imgur.com/roh5ojQ.jpg

5 - When I use Foilage mode and try to build light, it will crash, when I uncheck shadows it will build.

If you have any answer on this I would like to know what is causing it or tell me what I´m doing wrong.

^This.

With the custom Dungeon Defenders Map ports i'm working on, custom Mats on the landscape would literally nullify the whole map to default textures when the map is brewed. The only work around I could think of right now is to make sure I have a terrain version of the landscape, then export as an obj file and then split it into 3ds max to reimport in parts as a static mesh because culling/uv channels are extremely important for performance. And to bypass that 64k vertices limit. Thanks to Kill Master for telling me this. This is an EXTREMELY lengthy process but it works. Hopefully it will get proper support for custom materials landscape wise!

Last edited:
Upvote 0