• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [WIP] KF-Cell

LiquidArrow

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Click here for the center room moving in action! (the middle platform is glass) Keep in mind this is without any work other than getting it moving and I just finished the center area up.

Gifs:
https://gfycat.com/ImpossibleOrganicDobermanpinscher - Center area changing for boss wave.
https://gfycat.com/UnderstatedBrightGallowaycow - Room 2 - "Silhouette room" where the only lighting you have is the walls, and lit up floors when crawlers come to visit
https://gfycat.com/MammothThunderousFirecrest - Room 1 - "Light Ball" room where I am using the concept from my experimental map Abyss in a better setting
https://gfycat.com/GeneralHonestIriomotecat - A view of the ceiling coming down after leaving a room

So here is the concept for this map summed up.

In the center of this level is one single trader where 6 areas can be accessed from.

At wave start everyone is forced into one of the rooms at random with the beginning of each wave, then forced back to the center with fair environmental hazards. You have to pay attention or you will be spectating in record time.

Each room will have its own theme and gameplay style and with the randomization the experience should be different each time you play the map.

Boss Waves will be fought in the center where the ceiling pillars will come down in randomized sets to change up the battleground. The doors will be closed and battle will be done gladiator style.

Other Notes:
  • Each room has an "entry hallway" where the walls will slowly come in and crush you if you choose to stay put.
  • This map works with regular spawns, but I had to rig it in a way that it unranks the map. There will be a Ranked version with KFspawners instead of volumes and the superior but Unranked version of the map with the volumes hack coming out because of this. (that unless I can get the map whitelisted)
  • When the boss spawns they are lowered down into the center area on a platform

Last edited:
I love the idea! :D

I hope you can get it all working properly, I have tried a few unconventional map ideas myself that I had to give up on because zed pathing is just so hard to work with once you start using movable and destructible surfaces in your map

Once you start adding areas that are blocked off by timed events, zed spawning becomes a serious problem because you cannot disable/enable spawn volumes (at least I can't figure out how to), so zeds just spawn in the closed off area and the wave never ends :(

I really hope you can find a way to get it working though, best of luck!

Upvote 0
I love the idea! :D

I hope you can get it all working properly, I have tried a few unconventional map ideas myself that I had to give up on because zed pathing is just so hard to work with once you start using movable and destructible surfaces in your map

Once you start adding areas that are blocked off by timed events, zed spawning becomes a serious problem because you cannot disable/enable spawn volumes (at least I can't figure out how to), so zeds just spawn in the closed off area and the wave never ends :(

I really hope you can find a way to get it working though, best of luck!

Zeds won't spawn in the middle. I will keep the range adjusted so they will only spawn when near the player and the areas are going to be far enough apart to where that shouldn't be an issue hopefully.

If not I can always just use a trigger volume and place the manual spawns around the map with that (look at how I do the roof stuff with hotelzed for example)

There are bound to be issues though lol

Upvote 0
It is slow moving for this map as I plug away what time I can get, which isn't much nowadays. I wanted to update everyone that I got all the moving parts and logic of it working ingame done for the map!

1 of the 6 rooms open up randomly on wave start and at round end the Ceiling comes down slowly to crush those that don't want to leave, or take too long to leave ;)

On boss waves the floor does not move and all 6 rooms open so its a big playing space for the boss fight.

What I am doing next:
- Figuring out how to manage the spawns so they only spawn in the room that was opened
- Also figure out how to do the boss spawn in the middle and activate all spawns at once for the boss fights.
- Set down the pathing
- Put down basic lighting and the game essentials

Here are some top down views of the very basic layout at the moment.

http://i.imgur.com/88VVtKZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H8aVxX8.jpg

and for fun here is my kismet :D

http://i.imgur.com/TlLRSfn.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I am having some issues where the KFspawns will only use one spawn when I have 37 of them set to be activated by the toggle when the triggers is turned on and activated.

Do I need to make a toggle for each of these 37 spawn objects to get them all working? I have tried making them child spawners tot he one parent but it stops spawning after a certain amount.

The issue here is I cannot use the regular spawns since they cannot be controlled by trigger volumes as of yet ( if they can please tell me lol ). That is why I need to use the KFspawn object to activate on a trigger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-MGS- Sniper;n2264442 said:
Use actorfactoryAI to spawn on pathnodes this will spawn as many as you set through kismet this way you can also spawn any type of zed you want too

Would that still work in a wave based fashion without making it a non-exp game mode? Can you enable and disable these actorfactoryAI on a whim like you can with the KFSpawners?

I think I am able to fix my problem by making multiple trigger volumes. I had it setup with just one big trigger volume that would activate all of them and I did make it work better by putting everything in an object list but its still missing some KFspawners.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am debating on releasing little "Demo" releases of this map when I finish up a room. I currently am detailing Room 1 and am near completion with it, but it is going to take a very long time to get everything where I want it with all 6 rooms each having a different theme. On top of that I keep coming up with cool little interactions that I am adding into the level.

I might also just release a "placeholder" build without the detailing but with the basics for gameplay.

The pros and cons of this are holding me at bay though.
  • The cons are If I release a demo with only the room 1 then people might play it too much and get bored of that room. Which means they will be less excited when the actual map releases.
  • The pros is people get to play and I get feedback and find bugs. Then people might be anticipating the next "demo" release with adding on another room.
I would like some outside input on this if any of you have feedback.
  • Would you like me to have "Demo" releases as I complete each room.
  • Or do you want to just wait for the full package which is probably a good 2 months away lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LiquidArrow;n2269987 said:
I am debating on releasing little "Demo" releases of this map when I finish up a room. I currently am detailing Room 1 and am near completion with it, but it is going to take a very long time to get everything where I want it with all 6 rooms each having a different theme. On top of that I keep coming up with cool little interactions that I am adding into the level.

I might also just release a "placeholder" build without the detailing but with the basics for gameplay.

The pros and cons of this are holding me at bay though.
  • The cons are If I release a demo with only the room 1 then people might play it too much and get bored of that room. Which means they will be less excited when the actual map releases.
  • The pros is people get to play and I get feedback and find bugs. Then people might be anticipating the next "demo" release with adding on another room.
I would like some outside input on this if any of you have feedback.
  • Would you like me to have "Demo" releases as I complete each room.
  • Or do you want to just wait for the full package which is probably a good 2 months away lol

sign me up to host your map

Upvote 0
Update: I took a small break to release a much needed update and improvement build to HorzineExpress. I was tinkering with some new things like a gas cloud wall, teleporting zeds and etc. I should be done with that this week though and will be able to get back to KF-Cell and will post updates as usual.

The last thing I was working on is getting the level to be presentable for a very early build for people to play with.

there is one room I wasn't too fond of and came up with a new idea, so I will be taking longer to replace that one entirely with this new idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0