• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Stop adding destructible lights everywhere on your map

This is what I'm shooting for with my work. I try to have a base layer of light that is playable (matter of opinion I suppose) and then have destructible lights that make it brighter. I used to want a lot of dark places but I know many players simply stop enjoying it, so striking a balance has been then goal.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I think it's a fine line between esthetical aspects and playability. 'Catacombs' looks amazing, but it's very hard to play in a game like Killing Floor (2) due to it's terrain being pretty uneven and it generally being too dark with those destructible lights. I also had problems with all the different colored lights and weapon effects contrasting it's darkness.

Upvote 0
I get what you're saying, not having completely dark maps and all, but not when it comes to Catacombs. It is a hard map yes, and some areas are pitch black, BUT it's really not that hard making out where you need to go. They've done a fine job on collisions so you don't get stuck or blocked while running through the dark. Never expect to survive in the first try. ;)

The map I'm working on (my very first) will be set in an underground lab much like BioticsLab, but some areas will have some actual skylights in the ceiling, so these areas will be naturally lit, and where you might end up fending off the zeds in the end. Then I will also have the (other) skylight lighting on about 2-5% so you can still make out some of the areas, even when all the lights are completely destroyed. I might also have some of the lights not completely destructible, but just flinkering, and some spinning red 'alert-lights' which are not destructible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0