• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF2 Rebalance Mod

xmrmeow

Grizzled Veteran
  • Mar 23, 2015
    I've been working on a mod that balances the game.
    Changes are as follows:

Fleshpound Explosive multiplier changed from 1.5 to 2.5.

C4 Damage changed to 492 from 820. (so FP takes the same damage from C4)
    C4 Consecutive explosion damage multiplier changed from 50% to 90%.
    C4 New alt-fire:Grouping
    Pressing middle click now groups up to the last 8 c4 you placed (that aren't already in a group) into 1 slot. This allows for them to be detonated simultaneously. This function should go well with the consecutive explosion reduction change quite well, and allow for nice traps to be placed.

Hans explosive resistance reduce from 50% to 0.
    Hans Melee damage reduced from 75 to 35, Guns given more ammo. (no more hans 2 shotting people without a berserker parrying every attack he does)

Berserker can now extend zedtime as much as Commando can (also a function of his level)

Backup pistol (M9-Beretta) damage increased from 15 to 20. (20 is needed to 1 shot small zeds to the head; with it being 20, the backup pistol is kinda useless).

Currently testing these changes still, but I've figured out to simply apply and revert this mod, in game and on servers. Once I finish testing It, I'll post a download link and the very simple install instructions here. ETA Tonight :)

Also working on making some medic syringe changes and medic nerfs as well as letting support weld armor (medic's armor repairing will be removed with this). These changes won't be in tonight's version.

This version has these changes:

Fleshpound Explosive multiplier changed from 1.5 to 2.5.

C4 Damage changed to 492 from 820. (so FP takes the same damage from C4)
    C4 Consecutive explosion damage multiplier changed from 50% to 90%.

Hans explosive resistance reduce from 50% to 0.
    Hans Melee damage reduced from 75 to 35, Guns given more ammo. (no more hans 2 shotting people without a berserker parrying every attack he does)

Backup pistol (M9-Beretta) damage increased from 15 to 20. (20 is needed to 1 shot small zeds to the head; without it being 20, the backup pistol is kinda useless).

After removing all the compiling errors to implement C4 grouping change, the compiler just kept crashing with no errors so I had to remove it :(
    Berserker change needs a file from KFGame to be compiled so I removed it for now; should be able to fix it later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yopkedj6xfvgic8/KFGameContent.u?dl=0

Installation and Removal Instructions:

Game:
    Step 1: Make a folder (wherever you want) to back up your KFGameContent.u file
    Step 2: find your Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor2/kfgame/brewedpc folder and copy paste the KFGameContent.u that is in there into the backup folder you made in step 1.
    Step 3: Place the file from the download link in the folder that KFGameContent.u was in from step 2 (overwrite the one that is there).
    Step 4: Launch the game :)

***To remove the mod, take your backup of KFGameContent.u that you made and replace the modded one in brewedpc with the original.

Server:
    Step 1: Also make a backup folder like in step one for the game
    Step 2: Backup the KFGameContent.u file from your server's KFGame/BrewedPC folder (I'm not sure if this is the same as the one in the game folder so I'd back it up separately to be safe).
    Step 3: Place the downloaded file from in the server's KFGame/BrewedPC folder (overwrite files).

Step 4: Launch server :)

Note 1: Without removing the mod, and relaunching of course, you won't be able to play on servers without this mod.
    Note 2: Without having the mod applied to your game, you won't be able to play on a server that has this mod.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Rebalance mod v2

Changelog:

C4 Weight fixed to its intended value of 6.

HX25 Submunition fire replaced with 20mm grenade(this already existed in kf2's source code, but wasn't used for some reason.

Medic Syringe now heals 35. Healing allies uses 50% charge. Recharge time for using on allies and self changed to 10 for both from 15 on self, 7.5 on allies. Increased usable range from 135 to 180 (you still have to be close to use it on someone, just not on top of them like it was before)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lr79iriz1pu0o4/KFGameContentv2.rar?dl=0

Here's the link; install and removal instructions are the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2zqCdhDHJs video demonstration with install instructions are here as well.

*** Known Issue *** Medic syringe changes are not working.

***Realized the medic syringe files are in KFGame not KFGameContent; can't figure out how to get KFGame changes to work***

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Berserker can now extend zedtime as much as Commando can (also a function of his level)

Backup pistol (M9-Beretta) damage increased from 15 to 20. (20 is needed to 1 shot small zeds to the head; with it being 20, the backup pistol is kinda useless).

I LOVE IT!

Also working on making some medic syringe changes and medic nerfs as well as letting support weld armor (medic's armor repairing will be removed with this). These changes won't be in tonight's version.

This concept is indeed interesting. Medic can heal up players the best and Support can fix up armour, now they both can co-exist and become a lot more useful and practical for the team, especially the support obviously.

Upvote 0
    Any requests for changes anyone? I can't think of much to change that I can right now besides adding flashlights to more weapons.

also heres v3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9en9vaetlggiwm/KFGameContentv3.rar?dl=0 the grenade pistol's radius is changed from 400 to 500 (not that big of a difference) and the arm distance is 1.5 meters instead of 3.5.

Have no idea when I'll be able to fix the syringe because I have it coded along with the berserker change, a mod that removes zed teleporting, and a few other things but I can't figure out how to use them since they're all part of the KFGame folder and whenever I compile anything from that folder and apply it to the game, it just crashes.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Neat about time someone does this! Guess I will make my own mod of this kind on the long run but I'd really like to try yours first.

A suggestion:
    Would you mind testing the effects of increased weapon swap speed with your mod? I'd really like to see why Tripwire is so hesitant about this issue.

Upvote 0
    Changelog:

Fixed a bug where the second m9 when using dual m9s still had 15 damage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9en9vaetlggiwm/KFGameContentv3.rar?dl=0

I overwrote the last update file since this was a bug so the download link is the same.

A suggestion:
    Would you mind testing the effects of increased weapon swap speed with your mod? I'd really like to see why Tripwire is so hesitant about this issue.

Unfortunately this is another thing I know exactly how to fix and where the code is to fix it, but can't due to the fact that it is in KFGame and not KFGameContent.
    For some reason, any time I change something in KFGame, compile it, and run it in game, the game just crashes on startup :/
    Important things I'd like to test changes on that I can't due to them being in KFGame include but are not limited to:

- Infinite flashlight power
    - Zed teleporting
    - Medic Syringe recharge rate, heal amount, and ammo consumed when used on other players
    - Improved swap speed
    - Removing movement speed penalties for reloading and low hp
    - Various perk changes including perk skills, giving berserker zed time extensions, medic nerfs, letting support weld armor (might actually be able to do this just by editing the welder which is actually in KFGameContent, not KFGame, we'll see), etc.

If all of these things were possible to edit, this mod would be less of a demo rework with a few side changes and more of a complete balance overhaul with tons of fixes to balance and quality of life changes.

I really hope either TW fixes whatever is preventing me from changing stuff in KFGame (if it's a bug) or somebody on the forums gives me a legit answer to how to fix this issue that isn't "wahhhh don't edit the core game files just make a mutator that is 100x harder to edit functions and variables with"

Next patch will prob try lowering arm distance of explosives (right now theres a very specific distance you'd have to shoot something to actually get it to explode AND hurt you; I'd rather get hurt and have my shot go off than fire a blank, and that's what the explosive resist that demo gets is made for so why not try putting it to use and see how it works; It seems to work quite nicely with the pistol)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    - Infinite flashlight power
    Extend KFPawn_Human and set BatteryDrainRate to 0. Then make a custom gamemode and set it to use your new player pawn.
    - Zed teleporting
    Extend each zed's pawn and controller class that you don't want teleporting. Set the new pawn to your new controller class. In each new controller class, set bCanTeleportCloser to false. Then use your custom gamemode from before and set it to use your new zeds.
    - Medic Syringe recharge rate, heal amount, and ammo consumed when used on other players
    This isn't that hard to modify. I'll be releasing a mod today that does this.
    - Improved swap speed
    This isn't that hard to modify. I'll be releasing a mod today that does this as well.
    - Removing movement speed penalties for reloading and low hp
    Reloading only pulls the player out of sprint, but low HP does reduce movement speed. This can be done by overriding KFPawn_Human's UpdateGroundSpeed() in your new player pawn class.
    - Various perk changes including perk skills, giving berserker zed time extensions, medic nerfs, letting support weld armor (might actually be able to do this just by editing the welder which is actually in KFGameContent, not KFGame, we'll see), etc.
    You can watch this from ScoreKill()/NetDamage() in a mutator and use the Player Controller as well as their Player Replication Info to track their selected talents and perks. You might be able to replace the welder and add that armor welding functionality by modifying your player pawn's default inventory.

You should stop trying to just overwrite game packages and try to actually learn the code and figure out ways to get around it. I've written my own mod that does some of this. Feel free to use the source code.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    You should stop trying to just overwrite game packages and try to actually learn the code and figure out ways to get around it. I'll link my mod when I've posted it on the forums. Feel free to use the source code.

The only reason I haven't stopped is everyone before you who's told me that hasn't given any alternatives as to how I would do what I'm doing now without modifying existing files. Now that someone finally actually tells an alternative method, I can get to work on making more mods than I could before, and ones that don't change existing code (although you'll only encounter issues when editing things in KFGame). I'll definitely have to take a peek at your source code though; not quite sure how I'll get the weapon swap speed to increase without going through a whole ordeal since all the weapons would still extend KFWeapon and not my class that extends KFWeapon.

Upvote 0
    The only reason I haven't stopped is everyone before you who's told me that hasn't given any alternatives as to how I would do what I'm doing now without modifying existing files. Now that someone finally actually tells an alternative method, I can get to work on making more mods than I could before, and ones that don't change existing code (although you'll only encounter issues when editing things in KFGame).
    Until Tripwire gives coders access to weapons, perks, etc, you'll need to discover your own way around things over and over and over again. It's important to note that takes a lot of effort to take the road never traveled over and over and over again.

I'll definitely have to take a peek at your source code though; not quite sure how I'll get the weapon swap speed to increase without going through a whole ordeal since all the weapons would still extend KFWeapon and not my class that extends KFWeapon.
    It's posted here, if you're interested. The weapon switching speed is done with SpawnEquipHandler() in the class ProjectOneMut using my own solution to the problem via the class WeaponModHelper_Equip.

Upvote 0
    Changelog:

Medic syringe now heals 35 hp instead of 20.
    Medic syringe range increased from 135 to 180 to allow easier healing on teammates that are moving.
    Medic syringe recharge rate changed from 15 on self, 7.5 on ally to 10 for both.
    Medic syringe recharge cost on ally reduced from 100 to 50.

Removed movespeed penalties for lower hp.
    Slightly increased base movespeed.

Knife now makes you move faster (thanks to Skell)

Zed teleporting removed.

Flashlight and nightvision now both have infinite battery life.

The file that changes these things is separate from the other one; you can choose to use one or the other or both without problems. Installation is easy; just place the file in this rar in your Documents/MyGames/Killingfloor2/KFGame/Published/BrewedPC folder.
    To run it on a server simply put this file in your kf2server/KFGame/BrewedPC folder and add to the command line for starting your server ?game=RebalanceMod.Rebalance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx4duf5pg61cxe9/RebalanceModv2.rar?dl=0

Upvote 0
    Changelog:

Medic syringe range increased from 135 to 180 to allow easier healing on teammates that are moving.
    Medic syringe recharge rate changed from 15 on self, 7.5 on ally to 10 for both.

Zed teleporting removed.

Only a thanks for the knife? D8
    I swear I helped more than that! :p

Glad to see you're going about this the right way.

To answer your PM, you can skip to the KFPawn parent class with super using the following syntax:
    Code:
    Super(KFPawn).AddDefaultInventory();
    Goodluck!

Upvote 0
    Oh nice thanks; I actually just copy pasted the AddDefaultInventory function from KFPawn into my new human class and it worked fine too, but that way is much simpler. Thanks for everything, every time I asked anyone else they gave me completely unhelpful responses. I only credited you for the knife since I literally just copy pasted your code into my human class since I liked the idea of the knife giving more speed.

My next idea for an addition to my mod is removing the random movespeed modifier in the difficulty class... apparently in addition to having a multiplier for movespeed depending on difficulty, each zed also gets a random movespeed multiplier between .9 and 1.1. This means you'll randomly get zeds catching up to you that normally wouldn't be able to, and zeds that randomly move slower and can't catch up to you even though they should be able to. This can mean life or death on difficulties where an extra 10% speed means you die, so I really don't think it should be left to chance, hence why I'll attempt to remove it.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Changelog:

Zed teleporting removed.

The file that changes these things is separate from the other one; you can choose to use one or the other or both without problems. Installation is easy; just place the file in this rar in your Documents/MyGames/Killingfloor2/KFGame/Published/BrewedPC folder.
    To run it on a server simply put this file in your kf2server/KFGame/BrewedPC folder and add to the command line for starting your server ?game=RebalanceMod.Rebalance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx4duf5pg61cxe9/RebalanceModv2.rar?dl=0

Thank you for making this able to be used on my server without a hassle. :) One question: Does this one have the changes from above that help the demo class out a bit?

Upvote 0