• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Word for tripwire about free weekends

s5yn3t

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 20, 2015
    If you guys are planning on continuing with free weekends please, at least host your own servers so there would be a possibility to play the game while there's a swarm of trials.
    Right now there's a lackluster of servers (idunno either hosts haven't updated their servers or just don't want to turn it on while free weekend)
    And those servers that i can find in my ping range are all full across all difficulties and length (except hoe because I'm trying to play with friends that are new to the game)
    Even normal is lacking in playable servers.

Last edited:
    That's odd that you've had this problem.

I will admit, that there's a huge amount of high ping servers all the time, for us United States players. That being said, I've never had trouble finding a game to fit my personal preferences, whether it's a certain map, difficulty, length, etc. I've even been lucky enough to find a handful of PvP games when my friends and I are feeling like playing. Maybe I'm just lucky?

It's also worth noting that, unlike many other games, a high ping doesn't effect this game as much as you may think it would. I've successfully completed handfuls of Suicidal games with a ping of like, 190+. I have yet to step foot in a HoE game with a ping that high though.

At the end of the day though, it honestly wouldn't hurt to rent a handful or two of servers for the three days that the free event is running. It's nice to allow for a painless three day trail period for people, in the off-chance that they do run into something like this. Nothing is worse than trying a game during a hosted free-weekend and finding the experience frustrating, in that you can't properly play. (I'm looking at you Squad!)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    infntnub;n2290497 said:
    I saw a massive influx of locked servers this weekend... was starting to really urk me lol.

Maybe it was just my luck though?

You could look at it like that or you could say its server owners/leasers wanting to be able to play on their servers I guess. To be expected. They pay the month fee and so want it available as much as they want to play on them. Locking them saves the hassle for players being kicked off mid-game.

I expect most of them will be returned to "open/available" once the freeweekenders are back to playing their own games. Not including those that bought the game ofc.

Upvote 0
    2Clicks;n2290508 said:
    You could look at it like that or you could say its server owners/leasers wanting to be able to play on their servers I guess. To be expected. They pay the month fee and so want it available as much as they want to play on them. Locking them saves the hassle for players being kicked off mid-game.

I expect most of them will be returned to "open/available" once the freeweekenders are back to playing their own games. Not including those that bought the game ofc.

Yeah, from a server owner standpoint I totally get it. I just wanted to add more fuel to the fire of TWI needing to host a few extra servers for these types of weekends.

Nothing quite like being someone wanting to try the game out and not having much luck finding a game. If that had been my first experience it may have possibly been my last, for example.

Upvote 0
    infntnub;n2290515 said:
    Yeah, from a server owner standpoint I totally get it. I just wanted to add more fuel to the fire of TWI needing to host a few extra servers for these types of weekends.

Nothing quite like being someone wanting to try the game out and not having much luck finding a game. If that had been my first experience it may have possibly been my last, for example.

You make a valid point, temporarily adding some official free weekend servers would make it easier for those interested in trying the game to actually be able to play. The game is no where near as fun without other people to play with.

Upvote 0
    Kittenmittens;n2290614 said:
    Servers were added in anticipation of the free weekend. It is possible with the numbers of players we had, we needed more. It was a big weekend :)

if it was the case all ive seen were twi official NL for normal medium, any other lenght or difficulty were run by community which was quite a lackluster.
    p.s. Forum on mobile is still mega laggy to type.

Upvote 0
    s5yn3t;n2290616 said:
    if it was the case all ive seen were twi official NL for normal medium, any other lenght or difficulty were run by community which was quite a lackluster.
    p.s. Forum on mobile is still mega laggy to type.

They also all have server take over enabled. So they could be taken over and changed to settings as needed.

Upvote 0