• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hans Revamp Proposal

bass361

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
Everyone knows Hans isn't as fun as Patriarch.

Perhaps Hans could start slow and get quicker or vice versa as you widdle him down, then you could nerf his ridiculous bubble shield without sacrificing difficulty.

I just came from a 6 player Sui, and I didn't even try to shoot down the bubble, because it's just simply a waste of ammo. His shield is ****ing JACKED in 6 player.

You need a few high DPS players to even bother taking his shield out. And you need people to clear trash so that the DPS players can focus on the boss instead of having to protect themselves from trash. I actually think the shield health isn't so bad, even on 6p HoE. You just need a semi-coordinated team - that doesn't mean using mics or knowing how each other play, it's just common sense stuff like what each perk's role is. But that's the same with shooting the boss when the shield isn't up. It is so much easier if you have a few players with high DPS, and each player knowing their role. It's no different than most things in this game: it's a lot easier and cleaner if your team works well together, otherwise, you're very limited in what you can do. In this case, you're not able to take down the shield since others aren't helping, other times it might be that your team is preventing you from being able to kill a big zed on the spot.

A reduction in shield health of maybe 20% wouldn't be unreasonable, but beyond that it would probably make it a bit too easy, especially for coordinated teams, and especially given how much of a bonus it is to actually destroy it.

Upvote 0
bass361;n2287278 said:
Everyone knows Hans isn't as fun as Patriarch.
Perhaps Hans could start slow and get quicker or vice versa as you widdle him down, then you could nerf his ridiculous bubble shield without sacrificing difficulty.
I just came from a 6 player Sui, and I didn't even try to shoot down the bubble, because it's just simply a waste of ammo. His shield is ****ing JACKED in 6 player.
imnrk;n2287464 said:
To add to this, I would like it if he didn't combo you to death in solo games. When he has no targets except for you, he shouldn't be able to make his 2-hit melee attack over and over.

Guys I know it sucks when things dont go right but we shouldnt feel the need to win "every" boss encounter just because we are a level 25 and are ripped to the core w/ deadly pain-giving damage. I actually enjoy the boss-fights that see Hans and Patty put up a good fight and kill some of the players before they depart this virtual mortal coil.

Making them too easy for Sui and above will imo put off alot of players who sink time into this game for the last remnants of challenge that are left from the original EA release.

If I can suggest that you observe things like what players are playing with you, perks selected, their levels, weapons used and where you the fights take place. In conjunction with where ppl die, when they die and how they die and then try to learn from it, you will actually work out how to "easily" defeat the bosses on 6plyr HoE. I died plenty of times during EA when things were changed or didnt have the best perk or was with a group that knew as little as I did. It may take time but you will get there. In the meantime I hope TW dont dumb down whats left of the challenge any more as for some players its easy enough as it is.

If youre still having trouble make sure that you are playing the best perk for the group dynamic, with the appropriate skills and weapons for the difficulty. Then learn how to stay alive during their assaults. If you can do that and the medic helps you out then you can outlast the bosses everytime. Well if the medic doesnt go down early.

Upvote 0
I actually think Hans is in a pretty good place after the changes TWI has made over time to him. Beating the boss shouldn't be a given, especially on the higher difficulties.

The bigger problem I think is that there is still a noticeable gap between him and Patty. I'm not sure the answer is to soften Hans up some more, or perhaps beef Patty up some to make it less drastic? I'll be really curious to see where the Matriarch falls as far as how we would rank the bosses by individual difficulty.

Maybe she will be the "in between" one, if they choose to not address this gap.

Upvote 0
I'm not against changing patriarch but I feel he is very satisfying as-is. While facing him I feel pressured constantly and I'm surprised every time I beat him, thinking I surely should have died at some point. I'm not sure how I would make any boss "better" than that.

Hans offers a completely different experience though. There are times I feel perfectly safe and others completely screwed. Perhaps that threat should feed into a sense of tension but it never feels like it was my fault for being killed by Hans. That kind of "Oh, come on!" effect never feels good to most players. The "fix" for this is to tone down the offending abilities (repetitive melee attacks) and tone up the placid abilities (poison gas does pretty much nothing last I checked). However, this would most likely make Hans feel more like the Patriarch so perhaps it is not a good idea. Maybe Hans could be vicious from the start but ease up a bit as players are killed but that doesn't really offer anything for solo players, either...

Upvote 0
Problem is, i dont know of any way to stop hans. What i mean is patty you can actually get out of his melee range..and his weapons you can use cover to avoid, but hans, you cannot outrun, except maybe as a zerk or medic, and you cant avoid his melee attacks. Short of luck or a top not medic, and even then, once hans is on you, you are acrewed once your armor is down. That is what is frustrating about him.

Upvote 0