• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Am I remembering this right? Shooting legs / arms off?

They could make the body of a zed like the head. Each shot makes some kind of visible damage to the body and when it reaches the maximum damage, it either makes a big damage wheere you can see the bones or a big hole (but this would be tricky with hitbox). Anyway, this is something that could be done easily, since its in the game. But it still would be expensive to make all the new destructible areas for each zed, BUT it would be worth it.

Upvote 0
There is already a form of limb damage in the game because of the new status effects and stumbles. I think actually blowing a leg off would add a ton of new animation work to the game and losing arms would modify attacks unless we started getting slapped with phantom limbs. A crawling fleshpound sounds awesome though. It would be a hell of a surprise if a block of c4 took their legs off but they crawled up behind you inside of a pack at knee height.

I've messed around with head damage on something like a siren and the 9mm takes off chunks of their face unless they have a shiny metal skull, then they actually lose bone. It's a neat effect you can't really see when they're screaming.

Upvote 0
TheTCREngineer;n2284080 said:
Yea, Alan Wilson said it was going to happen but that was false information, probably to either market the game better or because the devs said that something like that would be added.

Well, the MEAT system does consist a variety of body parts that - all of the subject's limbs may come apart from the body across various conditions, which in the current build can be seen via the finishing blows with the edge weaponry, the explosives and awesomely: the Doublebarrel Boomstick.

On a further note, whether an attack is capable of such outcome is in fact a soft setting, meaning it really comes down to TWI's decision to allow even the weakest means of attack to achieve this feat.

If you still don't get it, think of it as there is a threshold that the attack must surpass in order to trigger a dismemberment and that only a handful attacks currently in the game are capable of doing so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TheTCREngineer;n2284080 said:
Yea, Alan Wilson said it was going to happen but that was false information, probably to either market the game better or because the devs said that something like that would be added.

Yeah, in the same interview I think he talked about how they achieved the blood on everything. The props and walls / floors / etc are already all red, then they paint the actual "normal" colors on top.. this was to allow for a lower memory footprint and stuff, allowing the blood to stay static between rounds.

Well, I hope they bring back the ability to cripple Zeds by blowing their legs and arms off. Crawlers on walls would be nice, too.

Upvote 0
Hellmeat;n2284132 said:
Yeah, in the same interview I think he talked about how they achieved the blood on everything. The props and walls / floors / etc are already all red, then they paint the actual "normal" colors on top.. this was to allow for a lower memory footprint and stuff, allowing the blood to stay static between rounds.

Well, I hope they bring back the ability to cripple Zeds by blowing their legs and arms off. Crawlers on walls would be nice, too.

To be fair, Unreal can be a pretty difficult engine, especially with **** on walls

Upvote 0
NokiaSE;n2284123 said:
Well, the MEAT system does consist a variety of body parts that - all of the subject's limbs may come apart from the body across various conditions, which in the current build can be seen via the finishing blows with the edge weaponry, the explosives and awesomely: the Doublebarrel Boomstick.

On a further note, whether an attack is capable of such outcome is in fact a soft setting, meaning it really comes down to TWI's decision to allow even the weakest means of attack to achieve this feat.

If you still don't get it, think of it as there is a threshold that the attack must surpass in order to trigger a dismemberment and that only a handful attacks currently in the game are capable of doing so.

I'm not sure if you understood my post I meant LIVE dismemberment. What he said was "yea you can cut off a gorefasts sword arm and he'll still come after you".

Upvote 0