• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supply Crate Keys Are Way Too Expensive PS4

Jan 8, 2017
Tripwire needs to reconsider the pricing of a Supply Crate Key. The reason I say this is because I and many others believe $2.50 for a weapon skin (that might be a duplicate) is extremely expensive. I have about 30 crates already in 2 months on PS4, thats $75 in skins, how is that even economically rational? I would like to see more DLC packs for $5 or a full bundle for $20-25 dollars. I understand they need to make money or someone will say if you don't like it don't buy it. Well I do like the skins and I wish I could open these boxes seeing as you don't get much in this game so I'd like a little extra.

Anyways another idea could be to continue selling the key for $2.50 but let it open 5 boxes instead of 1, lets be realistic that $2.50 for 1 weapon skin and you don't even know what you're going to get, is ridiculous.

Reactions: Don Draper
If only any other game that uses this kind of system would do as you say, 1 key for 5 crates...
Only thing pisses me off actually is the rise of key prices, b4 it was like what $1.87 and now all of a sudden in a span of few years it risen to $2.50.... virtual keys or items are not oil and increasing prices for the hell of it is just dickish

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2283847 said:
If only any other game that uses this kind of system would do as you say, 1 key for 5 crates...
Only thing pisses me off actually is the rise of key prices, b4 it was like what $1.87 and now all of a sudden in a span of few years it risen to $2.50.... virtual keys or items are not oil and increasing prices for the hell of it is just dickish

thank god we can break them down soon. i like tripwire and all, but im never going to spend 200$ on gambling for skins and cosmetics.

Upvote 0
the first time that i opened a crate i got really mad cause of "battle scared" ,etc weapons
that is bull****, i am paying $2,49 for a item that is half the item?? so having that on mind i have to pay $1.24
that is why i dont pay, its expensive, i have to work 1 hour(yeahh, i win 3 dolars/hr on my country) to buy a crate with battle scared weapons

Upvote 0
defekt_;n2283902 said:
Likely to be the least liked component of KF2. I'd go so far as to say a net detriment, in terms of brand perception. TWI have clearly decided that the money is worth the hit.

The Zedconomy offers a way for TWI to keep the game's price relatively low, though, it doesn't help them get away with the pricing concerns about the cosmetics that the community has been raising over here and there.
Personally, what gets me in this case is the implementation of exterior quality (wear & tear) and that items out of crates aren't in factory new condition - or only got minimal wears to say the least.

In other words, in majority of the cases (crates more likely to give items that have more wears) it just flips the table for the buyer as they ended up paying for a ugly worn item.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NokiaSE;n2283921 said:
The Zedconomy offers a way for TWI to keep the game's price relatively low, though, it doesn't help them get away with the pricing concerns about the cosmetics that the community has been raising over here and there.
Personally, what gets me in this case is the implementation of exterior quality (wear & tear) and that items out of crates aren't in factory new condition - or only got minimal wears to say the least.

In other words, in majority of the cases (crates more likely to give items that have more wears) it just flips the table for the buyer as they ended up paying for a ugly worn item.

over the holidays i decided to finally try my luck at crates.

i got two USB keys, got a .40 dollar skin in each haha.

Upvote 0
So many opportunities missed with the skin conditions... You could've had weapon specific challenges that reward you with battle-scarred skins at first but once repeated enough unlock field tested and mint versions. You could've had all skins given to players start in mint condition and get worn down as they are used(option to keep in mint for clean freaks). You could've had all skins display as different qualities depending on perk level- scarred until 15, field-tested until 25.

I've finally sold enough junk to afford buying a single key and I don't even care to.

Upvote 0
What I've noticed is that there are now so many "kinds" of Crates and Keys. Victorian, Horizon, etc etc etc ... TWI must have plenty of money at this point if they are able to keep a couple artists busy vomiting out all these skins.

In all honesty, this will be the last TWI Game I purchase, purely due to the lost respect I have for the developer. If they needed money, make DLC. Make all options available in the Store. DON'T use a drop system which spams me 99% of the time with gambling crap that I can't delete from my Steam Inventory. Whoever thought this was a good idea was wrong, and it cost them at least 1 customer who was an avid fan and supporter since KF1.

Upvote 0
Hellmeat;n2284043 said:
What I've noticed is that there are now so many "kinds" of Crates and Keys. Victorian, Horizon, etc etc etc ... TWI must have plenty of money at this point if they are able to keep a couple artists busy vomiting out all these skins.

In all honesty, this will be the last TWI Game I purchase, purely due to the lost respect I have for the developer. If they needed money, make DLC. Make all options available in the Store. DON'T use a drop system which spams me 99% of the time with gambling crap that I can't delete from my Steam Inventory. Whoever thought this was a good idea was wrong, and it cost them at least 1 customer who was an avid fan and supporter since KF1.

Doubt they pay them anything. They probably get a cut of any key sold for their item drops/crates opened.

The current system is actually pretty good. Its optional. :) And if you have the spare cash then you can buy whatever keys want to to risk getting crap items for. However if you get a pristine one then you can sell it and probably buy 5 or more keys with the cash. Or get more games for free. I read lot about the downsides of this system but there are upsides! Enough for TW to have bothered with it in the first place judging by some of the crap ppl put on their characters in game. But thats their choice!

Then if you fortunately enough to sell the items that drop daily you can infact make enough money to afford a key in maybe a few weeks if youre lucky and play alot. And "buy" a "free" key that way. Me I have 100+ crates and going strong!

Personally paid cosmetics is not for me. But good luck to whoever partakes. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2284098 said:
Doubt they pay them anything. They probably get a cut of any key sold for their item drops/crates opened.

The current system is actually pretty good. Its optional. :) And if you have the spare cash then you can buy whatever keys want to to risk getting crap items for. However if you get a pristine one then you can sell it and probably buy 5 or more keys with the cash. Or get more games for free. I read lot about the downsides of this system but there are upsides! Enough for TW to have bothered with it in the first place judging by some of the crap ppl put on their characters in game. But thats their choice!

Then if you fortunately enough to sell the items that drop daily you can infact make enough money to afford a key in maybe a few weeks if youre lucky and play alot. And "buy" a "free" key that way. Me I have 100+ crates and going strong!

Personally paid cosmetics is not for me. But good luck to whoever partakes. :)

If it was optional, I would have the ability to opt out and not have undeleteable items in my Steam Inventory for a year. I'm glad they are finally getting around to address this, but for me I am pretty much done. I don't want to support a company that uses these practices. My opinion of course, I'm sure others are fine with it. Obviously I am not and choose to vote with my wallet.

Upvote 0
Hellmeat;n2284133 said:
If it was optional, I would have the ability to opt out and not have undeleteable items in my Steam Inventory for a year. I'm glad they are finally getting around to address this, but for me I am pretty much done. I don't want to support a company that uses these practices. My opinion of course, I'm sure others are fine with it. Obviously I am not and choose to vote with my wallet.

later that night: "time to buy some csgo/tf2 keys"

Upvote 0
Hellmeat;n2284133 said:

Or you could.... just i-g-n-o-r-e them! Try it and get back to me.

#1st world problems! ^^

Upvote 0
You guys want to know something kind of sad? Depth recently released their own version of crates, except they did it RIGHT, 2$, no key necessary, buy and open the chest, get a skin. This is ontop of their drop system already, no breaking down of skins or anything like that but, at least there is only one thing to ever buy.

Upvote 0