• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Extremely low CPU usage/HOE is too easy

Pharmacist

Apr 14, 2016
I have a 5930k and it appears as though the game is only running on 2-4 threads as I only notice 15-20% cpu utilization. Yet there are still frame drops and I am sure kf2 requires a fair amount of cpu usage for all of the bullets flying and zeds spawning. Is there a command or a way to increase the thread count similar to bf1 and csgo? Also, on a side note, I have been playing considerably less because HOE is just too easy now. The spawn rate seems a lot slower. The people I play with need a harder difficulty and don't exactly want to modify the game files to do it. Can we have more zeds and a quicker spawn rate at the minimum. Alot of the people I play with have a considerable amount of ammo left after each round, and the experienced ones are buying extra guns. Maybe lower the payouts as well, by time the 7th or 8th round comes along, everyone has a bank of 2k+. I liked kf1 because usually there were so many additional zeds in HOE that everyone was down to their pistol and knife by the end of the round. I'd just like to see there be an increase in challenge because at the top level, everyone is soloing everything and just running around the maps to get as many kills as they can to compete against other players.

Here is my current setup, I only say this because I detest frame drops and noticed that I was getting only 20% max cpu usage which seemed quite odd. I looked all around and couldn't find any commands or tweaks to add threads. I7 5930k 4.46ghz H110i, Asus X99 Pro, Titan X Pascal 2100/+700 Hybrid, 16GB 3055, EVGA 1600W, 200Hz 21:9 Acer Predator Z35 Gsync, Soundblaster Zx

Upvote 0
Pharmacist;n2283802 said:
Here is my current setup, I only say this because I detest frame drops and noticed that I was getting only 20% max cpu usage which seemed quite odd. I looked all around and couldn't find any commands or tweaks to add threads. I7 5930k 4.46ghz H110i, Asus X99 Pro, Titan X Pascal 2100/+700 Hybrid, 16GB 3055, EVGA 1600W, 200Hz 21:9 Acer Predator Z35 Gsync, Soundblaster Zx

ok im guna assume that you're sure you have stable OCs.

first and foremost, do you have any parts of FLEX enabled? if so try to disable the fluids option. i know it was disabled for a while and im not sure if its back seeing as i have an AMD GPU. just so you know i have an i5-4670k @4.0 ghz and with frames capped at 80 FPS my CPU only gets to around 50-60% on all cores.

second have you done anything to try and troubleshoot yet? things like verifying cache files in steam, if you have custom CFG tweaks try using a clean CFG or .ini file. turning off gsync, reinstalling GPUdrivers or rolling back?

third did this start happening suddenly or has it been doing this since you started. if so, was it after any major system updates either to your operating system or KF2 itself? aare you currently in the opt in beta? were you ever and then opted out? know that the beta is buggy by nature, so it may be that.

now when you say FPS Drops, describe it more. does it cause noticeable microstutter but frames actually stay kinda high? is it like a freeze in the game entirely?

from what i have been hearing, windows 10 released an update that is causing problems with multi monitor setups. if you have a side monitor try unplugging it perhaps.

Upvote 0
Well the fps drops are marginal, it will go from 200 to 150 at times, but I feel like its because the CPU is being underutilized. I use my PC for a lot of benchmarking so I am very well versed in all of the troubleshooting and overclocking etc. It just appears as though the game is only running on 2-4 threads and I am just looking for a way to have it run on atleast 10 threads. It seems to be that the fps drops are a result of poor compensation by the CPU but im no expert in code. Don't get me wrong, the game is very well optimized, but I wish it utilized more of my computers resources so that it could remain at 200fps at all times. The frame drops do not indicate that there is a problem with any of my hardware, but the resource utilization does note that only 20% max of my cpu is being used. In BF1 there is a command that increases the amount of threads being utilized which helps to boost the framerate a bit, but mainly keep the average 1% lows much higher. I understand that this is a bit of a non-issue due to the majority of hardware in gaming being dual to quad core, but it seems that there is room for improvement.

Upvote 0
Pharmacist;n2283892 said:
Well the fps drops are marginal, it will go from 200 to 150 at times, but I feel like its because the CPU is being underutilized. I use my PC for a lot of benchmarking so I am very well versed in all of the troubleshooting and overclocking etc. It just appears as though the game is only running on 2-4 threads and I am just looking for a way to have it run on atleast 10 threads. It seems to be that the fps drops are a result of poor compensation by the CPU but im no expert in code. Don't get me wrong, the game is very well optimized, but I wish it utilized more of my computers resources so that it could remain at 200fps at all times. The frame drops do not indicate that there is a problem with any of my hardware, but the resource utilization does note that only 20% max of my cpu is being used. In BF1 there is a command that increases the amount of threads being utilized which helps to boost the framerate a bit, but mainly keep the average 1% lows much higher. I understand that this is a bit of a non-issue due to the majority of hardware in gaming being dual to quad core, but it seems that there is room for improvement.

i know not of such a command for KF2 but i do know what you mean. maybe tripwire will weigh in on this. there is also a tech support section of the forums.

Upvote 0
infntnub;n2283952 said:
May I ask why you even want to run the game at 150-200 fps?

I'm sure it may be marginally smoother but ever try just locking in at 60? It's likely smooth to me because I'm just so used to it - but I can max everything out and have zero dips on a gtx 950. (no flex)

Just thinking of an outside of the box way to eliminate your dips. :)

he has a 200hz monitor. not a 60hz one.

Upvote 0
infntnub;n2283952 said:
May I ask why you even want to run the game at 150-200 fps?

I'm sure it may be marginally smoother but ever try just locking in at 60? It's likely smooth to me because I'm just so used to it - but I can max everything out and have zero dips on a gtx 950. (no flex)

Just thinking of an outside of the box way to eliminate your dips. :)

Running with higher hz is actually quite a lot smoother, i run 120hz which is 8ms update time vs 60hz with 16ms. 60 is decent but going higher is quite noticeable, but only to a certain point. Diminishing returns after 120 and a lot more power is needed to maintain it, you need 240hz just to hit 4ms.

And i think this is part of the problem, maintaining 200fps to keep the 200hz screen happy isn't really an easy task IMO.

Upvote 0
Short version:
I don't think you can change the number of threads KF2 uses and if you could you would most likely lose frames rather than gain any.

Longer version:
If you want to know why I suggest reading up on how multi-threading works but the basic premise is that any data a thread is using cannot be used by another thread without corrupting that data or the result of using it. Say you have a value of 2 and one thread wants to add 2 to it while the other wants to multiply it by 5. The order this is done makes a huge difference and so it's important to structure the code so that it does things in the correct order. The strength of threads is doing things in parallel and this example means there is no way around doing it in serial. Therefore doing it in two threads or twenty doesn't matter because many threads will be waiting on others to complete before they can even start and so while you may have ten times the threads you will never get close to having things run ten times as fast. It also all has to be implemented by design in order to take advantage of parallel processing as much as possible.

It's probably a good thing the game only uses two/four cores on your system because that means your other cores are more likely to be able to pick up on background tasks without interrupting Killing Floor 2's tasks, being each core can only do one task at a time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0