• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you play SWAT as your "primary" perk?

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm just wondering - I don't know anyone who plays this perk much after they finished it.

If you do tend to favor this as a favorite perk, please share why. I find Commando does everything a SWAT player can do, but better (and more efficiently).

I've only reached level 11 and I understand the magazine sizes reaches very nice levels but that doesn't seem enough to justify playing the perk.

Let me know what I may be overlooking. For now I'm just leaving it on the shelf to level with friends when they work on their level levels.

i play swat almost exclusively. with p90, kriss and heal pistol/smg you can kill anything shorter than scrake with ease. scrakes/fp up to hoe 5 man are solo-able within 2 seconds when stunned by your grenade. sc 6 man and fp 6 man i still need some help from a mate but for higher skilled people should be no problem either.

i think this class is too strong tbh

Upvote 0
i think swat is a completely underrated perk by most of the players. you have loads of benefits in terms of damage output bordering on the OP with the unlimited ammo in zed time skill. swat is fast in terms of movement speed and damage output. not to speak of the flashbang that can really make a big difference if used at the right time. you can pretty much stand your ground with this perk.

i carry double 9mills all the way to the boss if there isnt the need for a medic pistol. the accompanying skill dealing 100% more damage really makes a difference especially in the first few rounds. my endgame loadout consists of the double 9mil, P90 and a kriss.

mando is meant for precise high damage zed control with the addition to see stalkers/patty. swat is about fast and heavy damage crowd control (kriss) plus the flashbang if things get hairy and you need to create some seconds for the team. if played well the only thing really dangerous to this perk is the fleshpound.

overall, i love this perk and will play it anytime a mando isnt needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
personally I favor mando, semi-auto popping heads with a AR is just so statisfying...and ..explosions, the class is great fun to off perk demo weapons on. mechanically though...swat seems a lot more powerful, the FB+kriss mag dump is a insanely powerful combo against big zeds, its weapons have ludicrous magazine sizes that allow a player to hose down half the wave if he wants to and to top it off it has status effects coming out of its ears...with slow, stun and stumble on demand

Upvote 0
I honestly didn't know "favorite perks" where even a thing. Yeah sure, I'm better with certain perks. And I have a better "feeling" for certain perks. But in the end, I always try to adapt to the situation AND try something else from time to time! I don't find it very fun to always play with the same skills,the same weapons... I need variety.

So honestly, I play SWAT as much as I play any other perk. It lacks a bit of "punch", so I don't like it as much as I enjoy playing support or gunslinger, but it does the job and it's cool to spray and pray with a gigantic mag!

Upvote 0
infntnub;n2283394 said:
I find Commando does everything a SWAT player can do, but better (and more efficiently).
I prefere mando because of better effective range and the ability to make stalkers visible. The way I look at it is that SWAT is the newbie version of the mando. Spammable large magazines and the overpowered stun grenades. Bodyshots all day... But take away the 5 grenades and mando will potentially handle more heat. If a player can land headshots fast, mando is unbeatable when it comes to trash control and even scrakes are on the menu, without having to rely on limited stun grenades.

I usually begin the game as SWAT though. Free armor and two weapons to sell are the best deal.

Upvote 0
poultrygeist;n2283421 said:
i carry double 9mills all the way to the boss if there isnt the need for a medic pistol. the accompanying skill dealing 100% more damage really makes a difference especially in the first few rounds. my endgame loadout consists of the double 9mil, P90 and a kriss.

Truthfully, I have neglected the dual 9mils when I have played the perk. I typically just spray my smg and never really have much need to switch to anything else. I'll give it a go!

Aleflippy;n2283446 said:
I honestly didn't know "favorite perks" where even a thing.

Really? You do not naturally enjoy some of the perks more than others? For example in KF1 I always gravitated towards Commando and Demo. It has pretty much held true for me in KF2 (although I also enjoy the medic role in pretty much any game).

Bluntman420;n2283416 said:
It depends what the team needs. I like to start as a swat because: 1) I get the free armor 2) I get the free 9mm 3) I like the MP7 for the first wave, likewise I like the 9mm damage boost

Gladius;n2283448 said:
I usually begin the game as SWAT though. Free armor and two weapons to sell are the best deal.

Good points on the starting bonuses – I seem to keep forgetting about the free armor.

Upvote 0
infntnub;n2283463 said:
Truthfully, I have neglected the dual 9mils when I have played the perk. I typically just spray my smg and never really have much need to switch to anything else. I'll give it a go!

you'd be surprised :) . as level 25 swat the 9mil's are good to take out pretty much anything except the big zeds if you land consistent headshots.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2283448 said:
I prefere mando because of better effective range and the ability to make stalkers visible. The way I look at it is that SWAT is the newbie version of the mando. Spammable large magazines and the overpowered stun grenades. Bodyshots all day... But take away the 5 grenades and mando will potentially handle more heat. If a player can land headshots fast, mando is unbeatable when it comes to trash control and even scrakes are on the menu, without having to rely on limited stun grenades.

SWAT weapons all have a semi-automatic mode. I use even the starting Mp7 in semi-auto. Ammo lasts a long time that way. No body shots here!

I almost always start a game with SWAT. It's hard to choose between the Dualies and MP7 though, they're both awesome in the early waves.

If I stay SWAT, I buy just one perk weapon: Kris. That's all I need. Single-fired that thing is nearly as good as the Commando's Scar. When Mr. Scrake shows up, a flashbang + full-auto from Kris at point blank takes him down in just a second (6-man suicidal). Mr. Fleshy is a problem though. If you must solo him, use flashbang, mag dump, block with melee to "safely" de-rage, then repeat a second time. Obviously, you can't take down many heavies with mag dumps before running out of ammo, so a second weapon like a Pulverizer or RPG is highly recommended.

Finally, the 25th level skill that lets you move in real-time (battering ram) is an amazing utility: you can sprint right up to unsuspecting ZEDs and headshot them point blank while they're stuck in molasses. Satisfying. Very. As a Commando, it's hateful how often the environment has zero ZEDs in line of sight during ZED time :(

Upvote 0
Denks;n2283486 said:
Finally, the 25th level skill that lets you move in real-time (battering ram) is an amazing utility: you can sprint right up to unsuspecting ZEDs and headshot them point blank while they're stuck in molasses. Satisfying. Very.
I have never seen someone using that skill in actual games. In what tactical situations do you use that?

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2283542 said:
So when the rest of the team gets zed time bonuses for damage and everything you throw the big zed down to the ground so that nobody can shoot its head anymore... Brilliant.

if your point is that skill needs some love, we know and we agree haha. that being said, there will be times where that skill will save you or a teammates life, the question is how often will it be advantageous to the alternative zedtime perk.

Upvote 0