• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Camera shake feedback

Gladius;n2263439 said:
Sharpshooter in its current state generally makes me sick.

huh, wait, his broken damage or the camera shaking? xD

Does the camera shaking only applies if you choose the perk or the weapons of him? Is his melee weapon included? (Sharpshooter related)

There are still some camera shakes when you reload, especially the xbow. Not sure about the rest.
-When you hit something with a melee weapon. It shakes a lot.
-When starting to sprint and when you stop sprinting
-Reloading weapons like the M79

Just add an option to either remove it completly or slighty. Im not sure, but is it a difficult task to it? Just curious, cuz I cant imagine it, since im not a programmer.

Upvote 0
Munk;n2263454 said:
Do y0u think the camera shake for when you hit things is to much?

Personally I think its a bit too disorienting, especially when you take into account situations where a bunch of other visual stuff is going on (such as explosions) or when your character gets knocked around by a trash zed.

Also this is an unrelated question, but to whom can I go and leave feedback or request possible changes to something regarding weapon design, such as the Iron Sights for weapons and such? I posted a topic about it the other day, but I was just curious if there is a more suited place for discussion or feedback about that sort of thing.

Upvote 0
Munk;n2263435 said:
We have new sharpshooter sprint animations along with redone camera shake on them, It's very small now. For anyone that got motion sickness does this change help with that?
What are other aspects of the game that give you motion sickness due to the camera animation?

The problem is any head bob while running. If the camera bobs while you run, it's going to make people sick.

Upvote 0
There are several problems with camera shake.

1) As we know by now, some people get nauseous from it. I never had this kind of problems neither in real life situations nor in any games I played, however, after playing a full match as a berserker in KF2, I get a headache. I suspect it may have something to do with putting additional strain on muscles that control micro eye movements, as they work overtime to stabilize the vision during KF2 match.

2) It breaks immersion for me. When the character I control moves on his own, that reduces the feeling that I'm in charge. Instead, it feels like I'm just along for a ride in some autonomous body.

3) Generally, the amount of swaying and shaking in this game is greatly exaggerated, especially during reloads. Putting in a mag feels like getting bumped on the street by some rude bulky guy. Same thing with feedback from using a melee weapon. In real life you can hit a concrete wall with baseball bat all day long and you won't notice that much shaking, as your arms and body frame will absorb most of the shock, while neck and ocular muscles are doing a great job in stabilizing your view.

4) In most of games, camera shake is a form of punishment for player's mistakes, like going off track in a driving game, etc. It makes it harder to control your character, and it's something you instinctively try to avoid. I would surely understand some camera shake as a result of taking damage, but in KF2 it feels like we're being punished all the time, for no apparent reason. Especially when using melee weapon, where every swing at a zed feels like a punishment, and the whole game as a chore rather than pleasure.

The best way to go about it would be an introduction of a global camera shake off switch in game options, so both people like me and those who like this constant Parkinson's fiesta could enjoy the game.

Upvote 0
I should add that while camera sway makes me nauseous, I don't mind the zooming-in motion when you ADS, that's fine, because there's no sway; the focus is still on the same point. The motion sickness derives from the camera moving around when you're not telling it to, analogous to motion sickness in a car or plane (the view shifting while you're not actually moving).

The rapid ADS spinning when you zoom in with the railgun after sprinting is REALLY nauseating too, btw.

Thanks for looking at this, Munk :) .

Upvote 0
after mulling it over for a bit...

i'm not normally susceptible to motion sickness so i don't perse have any issues.
but some things related to animation and movement that look weird and might cause problems, hm.
  • the unholstering of the M14 is pretty weird. especially if you try to aim before it's done. seems to be just this Weapon.
  • long series of Explosions near the player each causing camera movement independent of each other is kind've asking for trouble. good example being Hans when he's on last stage and throws a lot of Stielhandgranate's at once.
  • the instantaneous camera rotation when grabbed by a Clot could potentially completely disorient someone, as what their screen is showing has suddenly drastically changed?
    • it's often talked down on as a difficulty measure anyways, of either 'just shoot and whatever' or 'you were already in the process of shooting so it automatically dies instantly'.
can't really think of anything else.
but, a slider/option for Camera Shaking is an easy global way for users to handle it for themselves. either reducing it to a level they feel acceptable or turning it off completely if they can't find a happy medium.

i feel like this is technically related.
i thought Gunslingers' Melee Weapon looked a bit huge and in the way due to how it's held, but jesus christ, Sharpshooters' Melee Weapon is just ridiculous!
ZlTkRsw.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm kind of wary commenting on this as I'm not personally affected by camera shake/animations/etc. But I suspect that, despite Tripwire's best efforts, they will have to make options for camera-affecting mechanics.

Camera Shakes: vealck made a good point regarding camera shakes as punishment. I can see it as a balance issue when zeds hit you (as camera shakes there would jerk your aim), but shaking when you hit a zed makes no sense. If Tripwire feels that the latter is a balance issue as well, it would help to explain why.

FOV Change on Sprint: This effect can only be modified in the code, so messing with the animations or whatever won't fix it. In any case, this most likely would not be a balance issue.

Camera Animations: AFAIK many of these are considered excessive, with the HX-25 and M79 reloads being particularly egregious. Balance-wise, there might be an issue with melee attack animations (including weapon bashes), but only there.

Upvote 0