Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

WIP Forum Upgrade

Please pardon our mess as we continue to iterate on the forum style, css and images. If you have any suggestions be sure to let us know in the off topic part of the forum!
2 of 2 < >

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Lets talk about PS4 and KF2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about PS4 and KF2

With the news of the Sony Playstation 4 hitting this weekend, and the subsequent wave of expected feedback ranging from "yeah KF2 on PS4" to "oh no TWI are going to ruin the PC version" I thought it would be a good time for me to weigh in with some thoughts and information. I would like to apologize in advance for the long post, but I have a lot to cover.

First off let me talk about the "why," as in why we're bringing a game to consoles now. Alan Wilson touched on this in his blog here http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...time-is-right/ but I'll give a bit more detail. As you all probably know, Tripwire Interactive are hardcore PC gamers and developers. We love the PC as a platform and have been championing it for years, even in the dark days of 2005 when all the press could talk about was how the "PC was dead." We've been very successful on PC selling million of games, and we've no intention of leaving the PC or relegating the PC to a "second class citizen".

A few things have changed in the gaming landscape recently though that got our attention. First off, game consoles have greatly increased in power for the new generation and their architecture is much better. When we looked at bringing games to the previous generation of consoles, they had far too low performance and not enough ram for us to provide the type of experience that we wanted to make. This means that we could now create an experience on the console without having to compromise the experience. Additionally, the previous generations of consoles were very different than a PC's architecture, meaning that it look a lot more effort to make a game run well on both platforms. This is no longer the case, as current gen consoles have an architecture much more similar to a PC.

Secondly, as you all probably know Tripwire Interactive is a fiercely independent company. We fund our own games, we publish our own games, and we succeed or fail based on our own decisions. No one tells us what game to make, when to release it, or what the content of the game should be. Our only limit is our time, resources, and talent. In the past when we looked into getting a game on consoles, we were told by the console manufacturers that we would HAVE to go through a big publisher if we wanted to get our games on their console. They wouldn't deal directly with an independent company. Now however, that has changed, and Sony has opened up the PS4 for independent developers like Tripwire.

Another consideration for us is the business side. This is something fans generally don't get to see, but games have gotten a LOT more expensive to make in the past few years. With the complexity of modern games and game engines, on top of the art requirements for modern games the cost of making games from the early 2000s to now has exploded. Red Orchestra 1 and Killing Floor 1 were both developed on just a few hundred thousand dollars as they were developed on older game engines. Red Orchestra 2 cost millions of dollars to make, and Killing Floor 2 will likely cost much more to make by the time we are done. When we made RO1 we had 4 employees, KF1 we had 11 employees, RO2 started with 7 employees and got up to 25 by the time it shipped. KF2 is being developed by 50 people. With game development costs rising it is very important as a business to make your games available in as many places as possible, to as many potential customers as possible.

When done right however, this is a good thing for fans. Let me explain how. Right now, shipping a game on a console adds about 10% additional work (very rough estimate) but opens your fanbase up to tens of millions of additional gamers. So if we as a studio can do 10% more work but gain 25%, 50%, even 100% more customers that's a great thing and here is why. Lets say we could afford to spend $2,000,000 making a game for the PC only, but we could afford to spend $4,000,000 if we released it on PC and console. In the end PC gamers get almost double the features and content as the developer could have afforded to make if they released the game on a single platform alone. Over the past few years you've been benefiting from this but never knew it. Great multi-platform games like Farcry 3, Dishonored, etc all wouldn't have been possible at the scope that they were released at if they were only on a single platform.

Finally, and likely the most important reason for it as that we just think it will be fun. Sure, we're hardcore PC guys, but a lot of us also grew up playing console games on the Atari, NES, Playstation, etc. We think it will be fun to bring a game to the living room, and to expose a new crowd of gamers to Tripwire's style of games and doing business (i.e. different types of games and lots of free updates, post release support etc). In other words, Tripwire is not being "consolized", rather we plan on "Tripwirizing" console gamers. The time has come when we can put games on the consoles on our terms, without compromise, and we're excited for this new frontier and the experiences we'll be able to provide gamers.

More discussion on this in Part 2 here:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...d.php?t=102726
    [I support "RO Forums Classic" mode!!!]

Thanks for the post, glad to see some of my concerns answered.

So now how possible is it to allow at least 2 player splitscreen in KF2?
    [URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fnscar"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/IIfNsH3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

Thank you based Tripwire.

Comment

See, all you have to do is criticize them and they'll start talking in details about things

P.S. Far Cry 3 is not great game IMO.
        Last edited by nejcooo; 12-09-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsoBit View Post
          I'd like to know this too, If I ever decide to get a PS4, it would be nice to know, that if it would be possible to play KF2 in split screen local/multiplayer co-op?
          Last edited by Furious Imbecile; 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM.
          [COLOR=Lime][I]The only thing that is or could be 100% sure, is the fact that nothing beside this sentence ever can or will be 100% sure.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/I][/COLOR]

Comment

If the PS4 does get split-screen, then the PC version should as well. Believe it or not, I have my PC hooked up to my TV and love playing local multiplayer on it as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by AsoBit View Post
              Thanks for the post, glad to see some of my concerns answered.

No current plans for split screen, however plans could change.

Comment

Originally posted by nejcooo View Post
                See, all you have to do is criticize them and they'll start talking in details about things
                Erm no. I was out of the country when the announcement happened, and just got back. Being respectful and asking questions is the best way to get info. Being overly critical just annoys and and makes us avoid the forums

Comment

I look forward to see how mod support is going to play out as far as the PS4 is concerned.

TWI has goofed before and I guess I can only say I hope they don't for KF2. However, since I've already secured a free copy of the early access release of the game from the ScrN tournament, it won't impact my wallet to find out for myself!

With the fear of the spoiling the game because of the console version out of the way, the only fear I have left is that the grey-brown colour scheme doesn't get a little more vibrant and mixed by release! :P

Comment

Originally posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger View Post
                    Erm no. I was out of the country when the announcement happened, and just got back. Being respectful and asking questions is the best way to get info. Being overly critical just annoys and and makes us avoid the forums
                    You cannot avoid something that is yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Skell View Post
                      TWI has goofed before and I guess I can only say I hope they don't for KF2. However, since I've already secured a free copy of the early access release of the game from the ScrN tournament, it won't impact my wallet to find out for myself!
                      How has Tripwire goofed, aside from the RO2 launch which has already been covered?

Comment

Originally posted by nejcooo View Post
                        You cannot avoid something that is yours.
                        Actually I can. It's really easy, I just don't open the forums if I don't want to, and let the community manager (Yoshiro) let me know whats happening there. But in the past year I got tired of having to avoid the forums, so we cleaned house and banned the guys that were trolls, flamers, and not contributing anything constructive to the community.

Comment

Originally posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger View Post
                          How has Tripwire goofed, aside from the RO2 launch which has already been covered?
                          I was referring to the RO2 launch. I don't know what you mean by "already covered", but I was just alluding to it. That's pretty much all.

Comment

Originally posted by Skell View Post
                            I was referring to the RO2 launch. I don't know what you mean by "already covered", but I was just alluding to it. That's pretty much all.
                            Already covered in part 2:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...d.php?t=102726

The short version is, ancient history, we learned from our mistakes, fixed the game, put out 3 more years of free updates, and then released Rising Storm which went really smooth. So yeah we're pretty much done talking about RO2 launch.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X