• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lets talk about PS4 and KF2

What worries me is how the difficulty will change to support a Ps4 version. It's barely impossible to aim fast with a controller when using an Xbow, for example. It's like playng Counter Strike on a consolle and pretending there will be the same skill level as the pc version.
That's why games like Call of Duty do not have an advanced recoil system and every single item has an assisted dot on it.
It's impossible for me to imagine an Hell on Earth map from the first KF played on a Playstation engine.

Read the part 2 before commenting please.

And I'm sorry about my previous comment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope aim assist will be on PS4 only. Despite gamepad support for pc I would prefer not to see any aim assist or at least option for server admins to turn it off

It should be an option for those that play with a gamepad on PC, but disabled when playing with kbam. I see nothing wrong with that. That's how most FPS titles with gamepad support do it. It would be best not to alienate those playing on PC but prefer a gamepad. That's something Valve has been trying hard to do lately with the Steambox stuff. Lots of people have converted from consoles over to PC and still prefer a gamepad after all.

Upvote 0
It should be an option for those that play with a gamepad on PC, but disabled when playing with kbam. I see nothing wrong with that. That's how most FPS titles with gamepad support do it. It would be best not to alienate those playing on PC but prefer a gamepad. That's something Valve has been trying hard to do lately with the Steambox stuff. Lots of people have converted from consoles over to PC and still prefer a gamepad after all.

I think it should be added that this leads to exactly the kind of compromise people talk about when they say a game is getting "consolized". Even the most aim-assisted controller can't currently match speed and precision offered by a keyboard and mouse. I'm not entirely sure why this is even argued. Then the devs are left with two options: balance gameplay towards an inferior input method " alienating" the kb/m users or leave the controller users feeling "alienated" when they can't clear content meant for a proficient kb/m user no matter how many aim assisted mlg 360noscopes they pull off.

It's win-lose either way when you want to cater to both input methods. Now should the support be there? Yes, I agree. There are some people who just like controllers. But it's nearly impossible to accommodate both inputs fully without "alienating" one of them in some way. Maybe it's a nice way to segue a controller user into the world of pc fps games but unless there's some new super gamepad released between now and kf2, I don't think the pc version should do anything more than support a gamepad as input.

Upvote 0
Adding aim-assist for controller players is far from "consolizing" the game. They wouldn't have to change the difficulty at all. It's up to the gamepad players to play whatever difficulty suits them for their skill level. All they have to do is make sure it's gamepad friendly and nothing beyond that.

It's win-lose either way when you want to cater to both input methods.

I disagree completely. As one example, I've played Borderlands 2 mostly with kbam, but once in a while I felt like just sitting back away from my desk and use a gamepad. Sure, it was more difficult for me to play but all it meant was that I had to adjust my gameplay tactics. Did I feel the game was compromised or worsened in any way for properly supporting a gamepad? No way! Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games on PC because of how well polished every single feature is and how well optimized it is as a PC game as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I disagree completely.
Disagree all you want, you are factually incorrect on many levels. Also could you find a game that is actually meant to be a skill based shooter and not just a collecty-gathery-minnimaxi-maymayfest to use as your example of controller support in a game? I mean I could use 'My First FPS' Halo as an example for controller usage and say it worked well and the game was good. But at the end of the day aim assist and bullet magnetism on the Xbox versions are nothing short of horrendous.

Also you can sit back from your desk no problem with your keyboard and mouse, there are things called slide out trays, they're actually quite convenient. There are also things that mount directly to your chair, in the event you're not already executing a superior couch / bed set up.

Upvote 0
Also you can sit back from your desk no problem with your keyboard and mouse, there are things called slide out trays, they're actually quite convenient. There are also things that mount directly to your chair, in the event you're not already executing a superior couch / bed set up.

It's not about the distance I play at away from my TV. A gamepad is more ergonomically comfortable over kbam. It's much less strenuous on the hands to play with a gamepad. There's a reason many disabled gamers on the Steam forums complain about a game not supporting gamepads. There are many reasons that someone might not be able to play with kbam while they can do so very easily with a gamepad.

Also your assessment of Borderlands 2 is far from correct and obviously clouded by your own extreme bias. Try looking at things more objectively. Killing Floor is a co-op shooter and, whether your like it or not, can be played casually especially on the lower difficulties. The main draw of the game isn't that it's "skill-based" for everyone, though that seems to be the case for you. You can play on the higher difficulties and that won't at all be affected by supporting gamepads. If I decide to play with a gamepad it's because I want a more casual experience with friends and family and that's when I play on lower difficulties. KF is very much both a casual-friendly and extremely hardcore, difficult FPS without sacrificing either gameplay style.

You're also underestimating how well some people may play with a gamepad. Sure, it's nowhere near the skill one can achieve with kbam, but it's not quite as bad as you may think. I've seen some very impressive gamepad players out there even when they disable aim-assist. The point, however, is that Tripwire needs to appeal to as large an audience as they can and they certainly seem to be doing very well so far without sacrificing the integrity of the game. Gamepad support only helps increase the appeal of the game and if you feel that it's a detriment to KF2, then you are sorely mistaken.

Try asking yourself this: "How will gamepad support affect my enjoyment of the game whatsoever"?

You'll probably say something like:
- Gamepad players will join my game and play much worse and ruin my experience!
-- Well, wouldn't any bad player regardless of their preferred method of input do the same for you? If they bother you that much, then kick them.

- The game might be balanced for gamepad players and the game will be too easy!
-- Considering how TWI's stance seems to be balancing for PC players, it's very safe to say that it will be balanced for kbam because it is still the most preferred method of input among all PC gamers when it comes to FPSs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think they will release the game on the Xbone, but Ramm has confirmed that the PC version will support Xbox 360 gamepads, which means it will also support Xbone gamepads since they both use the Xinput protocol.

Personally, I'm not interested in Xbox 360 Controller-support since i dont use this pad on pc anymore. My question was more like: will they 'really' support the xbox one pad (talking about rumble triggers and that stuff).

I'd like to know why there is no xbox version announced. Additionally i don't see a single good reason, why the game should not be ported to more than one console.

Upvote 0
Eerything clear like a morning sky but:
1)Saving independence is the best, dont go under someone's wind
2)If you want in future to make a game for PC and PS4, but you have enough money just for PC, do it well for PC first. I'm so sure if game will be high quality, it will have grown community and at the end more money for you and then for porting on PS4.
3)Never downgrades PC version of the game if PS4 doesnt run it enough good.

Upvote 0
Nice post, but many of the points have been covered here and elsewhere many times before. Many people are overly stubborn criticizing multi-plat support, not any details of it, just the idea. I say see for yourself if there are signs of consolization before complaining.

Maybe this is a good time to ask about the new voice command menu? I was a big fan of KF's voice menu and I have v23 v21 v41 etc carved into my memory. In KF2 the menu looks pretty limited and covers your whole screen. Did consoles honestly have no part in this and are there any other similar compromises around? This is not a huge deal, but it's nice to know, you know.

Upvote 0
Nice post, but many of the points have been covered here and elsewhere many times before. Many people are overly stubborn criticizing multi-plat support, not any details of it, just the idea. I say see for yourself if there are signs of consolization before complaining.

Maybe this is a good time to ask about the new voice command menu? I was a big fan of KF's voice menu and I have v23 v21 v41 etc carved into my memory. In KF2 the menu looks pretty limited and covers your whole screen. Did consoles honestly have no part in this and are there any other similar compromises around? This is not a huge deal, but it's nice to know, you know.

If by "nice post" you're referring to the OP, this is an old post from December of last year.
Personally I think that the console version could very well have influenced that decision. Battlefield 2, in 2005, also had such a system. I liked it, but there was also a console port of BF2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If by "nice post" you're referring to the OP, this is an old post from December of last year.
Personally I think that the console version could very well have influenced that decision. Battlefield 2, in 2005, also had such a system. I liked it, but there was also a console port of BF2.
No wonder it seemed a bit familiar :D

I'm not good at spotting necro posts.

Upvote 0