• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWAUT - Survivalist Tree

imnrk;n2276860 said:
It's a good idea though

When a good idea is implemented badly, it's still a poor result.

Also, I still stand by my point that a mix-n-match perk isn't a good idea for this style of perk oriented game. Everyone has a specific role to play represented by their perk specialties.

Except Survivalist whose all about killing stuff with random weapons. The noob class of choice. You know how when a new perk releases and everyone plays that perk non stop for a week? Well everyone will be wiping as survivalist pretty soon.

Upvote 0
I would actually rather have nothing than have Survivalist. I know that sounds harsh, but it seems I'm not alone in my dislike for this perk idea. I'm sorry, TWI, but this perk just looks so lazy and it doesn't deserve to be the final perk. I'd far rather you just scrapped it altogether and then released a 10th perk that's actually fun after release. Please think of the children.

Upvote 0
Kothre;n2276975 said:
I would actually rather have nothing than have Survivalist. I know that sounds harsh, but it seems I'm not alone in my dislike for this perk idea. I'm sorry, TWI, but this perk just looks so lazy and it doesn't deserve to be the final perk. I'd far rather you just scrapped it altogether and then released a 10th perk that's actually fun after release. Please think of the children.

I agree with your sentiment entirely. But...I can understand why they shoved it together like this before release. And it's because 10 perks were promised with launch. They'd have to deal with that backlash if they had only delivered 9. I can only hope that maybe we can another perk after launch like with KF1, maybe the previously canceled martial artist, or maybe something new...based on stuff they learn from the postlaunch meta.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the Survivalist. I think I always wanted a perk that would be able to use guns from all classes so you could have interesting combos or fill a gap on your team. I feel like I am one of few who actually likes this perk, its not perfect but the idea is there. I feel like the tier 5 choices should be on either 10% more damage with all guns or 15% faster reload with all guns, so it feels less like "stick to three class types". Also level 20 perks would be more interesting if it was like incendiary ammo with all weapons (so fire grenades on launchers, tracer rounds on bullets, extra damage on flamethrowers) vs explosive rounds (or hell, make an ammo type that acts like slag in borderlands (enemies coated take more damage from non coating weapons) this way its more team play focused and can help distinguish the perk). I feel like tripwire should get less flak for what it is worth, however. Some people make me sick.

Upvote 0
Coffee009;n2276981 said:
I like the idea of the Survivalist. I think I always wanted a perk that would be able to use guns from all classes so you could have interesting combos or fill a gap on your team. I feel like I am one of few who actually likes this perk, its not perfect but the idea is there. I feel like the tier 5 choices should be on either 10% more damage with all guns or 15% faster reload with all guns, so it feels less like "stick to three class types". Also level 20 perks would be more interesting if it was like incendiary ammo with all weapons (so fire grenades on launchers, tracer rounds on bullets, extra damage on flamethrowers) vs explosive rounds (or hell, make an ammo type that acts like slag in borderlands (enemies coated take more damage from non coating weapons) this way its more team play focused and can help distinguish the perk). I feel like tripwire should get less flak for what it is worth, however. Some people make me sick.

It not a bad idea in and of itself. Its just the way it seems to be currently implemented

Upvote 0
Coffee009;n2276981 said:

I couldn't agree more with this post, other than the slag thing. I don't like turning things purple. I think people just like to complain about things tripwire does though.

On an unrelated note, the update will be early november. Does that mean this week or next week?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder how the experience points work as he uses other perk weapons.I enjoyed levelling my swat whilst being another perk using all the dead swats weapons that I kept finding.
Guess I won't profit from the same experience with dead survivalist weapons as there from other classes, unless once a survivalist has held/bought a weapon it permanently gains its exp points, then I'd be happy with all the dead survivalists.
On a side note if a dead survivalist drops a varmit rifle and I'm commando, would be nice to get the bonuses of commando and exp of survivalist,don't you think?

Upvote 0
Jorick;n2276356 said:
Is there some hope we actually get to choose the skills we want from a pool of skills (more than 2 at least) in the future when it comes to the survivalist ?

Yoshiro;n2276360 said:
This isn't do-able with the current perk system. We will be making changes to the perk tree based on player feedback but it can't be completely open ended.

Is not? Well i recoomend looking at this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681440898
Briefly said, this mod allows you to get 15 SP each levels, those SPs you can freely invest in passive bonuses (damage, mag size, ammo cap, recol, etc.) or in traits (equivalent of skill given each 5 levels plus some new stuff like pet zeds, ammo regen, revive etc.)
Thats how survavlist should work in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Regarding the Survivalist's weapons, I can't help but think that we need a drop-down menu for our starting gear. While the perk knife will be purely aesthetic to the Surivalist, I can't say I'm a fan of having a randomized starting weapon. Additionally, some players will probably like the HE grenade more than molotovs, so perhaps it'd help to also let us select our grenades?

Upvote 0
I really am not a fan either of how limited the perks are. If anything, I would have loved to have a combination of medic/berserker together, but the perk at level 10 forces you to split of in either one or the other. Most of its perks are too restrictive toward the idealist goal of successfully being an hybrid of the perks you actually want to combine.

Oh, you wanted to have faster reload speed on both gunslinger and sharpshooter weapons? Too bad. You don't care about using melee weapons and/or mediguns to heal people? Also too bad. The best perk for the survivalist is the level 15's perk...I would like it too, but it also forces you to a grenade-type you might not want. Level 20, if you don't want to use explosives, you have only one choice to use. Will it be useful to what you wanted to do? Maybe not. And I don't think anybody truly cares about Zed Time perks so those don't matter in the end, whatever they are.

Still also waiting for the opt-in beta phase of the update before the full release, but it seems it might not happen either. I really want that Mace and Shield.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I may be a little late with my two cents, but I guess I'm still in time since no changes have still been made.
The objection seems to agree with the fact that random T1 weapons and forced grenades should go. I couldn't agree more.

Talking about the perks, I think you guys should focus on making perks that:

-Are broad enough to be used differently with different playstyles;

-Improve aspects of a certain role (DPS, healer, utility) in a different way than usual.

For example:

+2 grenades. Grenades are +25% more powerful.

Assuming you can choose what grenade to use, one could have 7 medical grenades to be a more efficient healer, or 7 freeze/stun grenades to disable more zeds throughout the wave, or 7 frag grenades so that one could throw them all at once and killing themselves with the splinters. Girls love that.

I personally think Leadership could make a comeback in this perk. Remember the +10% reload speed for the team that the Commando had? The Survivalist could have something like:

+15% reload speed for you, +10% reload speed for your team.

Again, this could be used in many ways. A surv/medic could pick up this perk to buff his team, a close-quarters survivalist would definitely consider it, along with a demo/sharp, safe-distance one.

However, some perks need specific bonuses in order to work decently, like the zerk and the medic. I personally think we could do with some passive bonuses for those two, like the present 25% damage resistance along with something like a 25% healing boost.

Best of luck with the tuning of this perk. It has great potential, but it probably will take a while to get it right.

Upvote 0