• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Replace spawning with breeding ?

olvirki

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 8, 2011
First of all, this is not my idea. The flash game Microlife featured that idea. I suggest you check it out. It is a good flash game and the way that the in-game population grows in explained in "how to play".

I just thought that Dwarfs !? could do some thing like that but slightly different. This could be used an another game mode or something for Dwarfs !? 2 or an expansion.

The basic idea is that every dwarf begins its journey from birth to the grave when a dwarfen female gives birth a child. After a few real-life minuets the child chances into a digger or a female. The digger goes on with his digging but the female starts having children and repeats the cycle. Some time later the dwarf dies.

One can build many things from this. The warriors would maybe be recruited and trained from the digger population for one.
One could insure that the females are always a minority by giving each child f.e. 3/4 chance of growing up to a digger and a 1/4 chance of growing up to a dwarfen female (Tolkien did this in his book/lore, but there the chances were 2/3 for males vs 1/3 for females).
A female could "marry" a dwarf, a digger or a warrior, and chance him to a married dwarf. He would just do the things they did before. But maybe stay at home a bit more ?
A female dwarf could maybe have on average 4-12 children (4 childern are required to keep the popluation steady, since only 1/4 of them are female).

One of the key elements of dwarfs is that it stays simple for me :\

I have to agree; its enough managing the fully grown dwarves, there is no need to throw family management in. I'd prefer expansion be in the existing elements for now, as the whole idea of adding a whole different set of factors like this really just overcomplicates this beautifully simple game

Upvote 0
I suspected that though. After all, the producers have to be careful not to ruin the original idea when they improve on it. Maybe would the game be ruined with this feature in it, I don't know.

But I still thing that a strategy game that goes for something like this instead of the normal "start with a HQ and some workers, build a barracks, train soldiers, build more buildings and train more units= win the game" formula would be successful :).

Upvote 0
I suspected that though. After all, the producers have to be careful not to ruin the original idea when they improve on it. Maybe would the game be ruined with this feature in it, I don't know.

But I still thing that a strategy game that goes for something like this instead of the normal "start with a HQ and some workers, build a barracks, train soldiers, build more buildings and train more units= win the game" formula would be successful :).

In the modes we have right now we would not add a feture like this as it's more a sim feture then it's a feture that helps with the chaotic gameplay.
When we look at the designing fetures there has to be a gameplay upside for us to add it. For exampel if we make a new game mode that is about taking care of your colony and building a dwarf society this might be a good feture. So if we do this I will look back at this thread and think about it :).

Upvote 0